Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did man really land on the moon??

spaceboy

Forgive me if this seems like a really dumb question but while there are all these conspiracy theory's out there and good argument against those theories I was watching some old clips of astronauts walking on the moon and wondered how is this possible? If space is a vacuum how is it possible for something to move through it. While I'm sure if enough energy is created this may be possible, how is it a regular human being who movement is already constricted by a big bulky space suit can do it with "reasonable" ease? Is it that space has a degree of matter? and there fore has substance? I see that astronauts train under water. I assume they do this as it offers a similar environment to what is experienced in space. BUT water has matter and so it is possible to push against this matter to cause motion. Put a guy in space and he would just float unable to control direction. How is it the same guy would be able to control direction on the moon. I understand the moons gravity plays it's part but with no atmosphere for the astronaut to move through how is it possible to move?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you think nothing can move through a vaccum, what do you think the Earth, Sun and other DSO are doing?

I am confused as to your reasoning to come to the conclusion that you can't move through a vacuum, if anything you move easier because there is no resistance.

When you walk on earth you do not push against the air to move, it's your feet pushing against the ground, causing you to tip forward that creates forward motion. The moon may only have a sixth of the gravity but it's enough to get your feet to grip the surface and tip you forward.

They train under water to simulate weightlessness. But when on space walks notice they either use the rocket pack thingy or they are tethered to the craft and pull themselves around using handles and such.

for my 2 pence worth ,they never landed on the moon (my best freind i love the moon better than nebulas)theres no way we could land on the moon the radiation alone would kill us humans,and the tech just was not there nor was the protection for the lem or the other parts ,

what i think they did was send probes up with that launch,Van Allen radiation belt how did they not get fried ?

i hope this does not upset any one, every one as there opinions ,esp me as i love space and time

I used to have an open mind on this topic, until I watched some documentaries on the Apollo missions. Now I know that they went and am totally in awe of the achievement. It's a wonderful story. I watched "The American Space Odyssey" DVD, which was very good and not expensive. My only complaint is it doesn't give any historical background or even mention the soviet space program. There is a BBC documentary "Space Race" from 2005 does a good job and is very good even although it is done with actors.

Take a look at Phil Plaits' website Bad Astronomy where he does a thorough job of debunking the moon hoax believers.

I think one of the reasons these theories have any sort of currency is because we haven't been back and don't look as though we will go in the near future. On top of that of course conspiracy theories are everywhere from 9/11, Princess Diana, JFK, secret world governments, aliens and UFOs and so on. Folks do love a good conspiracy and the more far-fetched the better.

We seem to be hard-wired to believe in them. and in cases like the moon landings there are those that will never be convinced that they happened no matter how much proof you produce.

Geoff

Take a look at Phil Plaits' website Bad Astronomy where he does a thorough job of debunking the moon hoax believers.

I really enjoy watching his shows. He speaks with such enthusiasm in his voice and delivers his material in an interesting way. Personally, I find his delivery more interesting than a certain UK Prof.

SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION GUYS You will all have to forgive me but I have just realized that my choice of thread title dosn't correctly represent what it was I was asking. DID MAN REALLY WALK ON THE MOON ? would maybe have been a better choice??? Even then I doubt it is a good example of what it was I was asking.

I will rephrase the question.

I'm not questioning that we have been to the moon. there are all these conspiracy theory's out there and good argument against those theories.

what I was trying to understand. astronauts walking on the moon and wondered how is this possible? If space is a vacuum how is it possible for something to move through it. I did warn Forgive me if this seems like a really dumb question

I am confused as to your reasoning to come to the conclusion that you can't move through a vacuum, if anything you move easier because there is no resistance.

My confusion is Put a guy in space and he would just float unable to control direction. How is it the same guy would be able to control direction on the moon. I understand the moons gravity plays it's part but with no atmosphere for the astronaut to move through how is it possible to move?

The answer I was looking for was

When you walk on earth you do not push against the air to move, it's your feet pushing against the ground, causing you to tip forward that creates forward motion. .

because

Did presume it was all down to gravity mate. I see you mentioned it anyway.

While I had considered the moons gravity plays it's part I was still unsure whether a level of resistance IE air, is needed to allow for movement to be possible. The whole no sound in space because sound has no air to travel through was my reasoning behind the confusion.

I really need to learn to choose my word more carefully before posting. :(

If someone really doesn't want to believe in it, they won't. Even if you do have a photo they will claim it's a fake:

ApolloSpoof.jpg

:D

With evidence like this how could anyone doubt we've been to the moon :):D

Yeah that would have been a much better title :)

So yeah you were right to assume that gravity is the key, without that there would have to be some sort of way to cling to the ground and pull yourself along. If I were an astronaut I'm pretty sure I'd have nightmares about escaping the Moon's gravitational field or losing my tether to the ISS.

Interestingly, I believe I read somewhere that some spacesuits have thrusters and even Velcro to help astronauts move around the exterior of the ISS!

Ye, that no sound in space thing gets me, am always hearing engine noise in those stars wars films :)

Apparently they were originally going to have the space ships flying through the scenes with no sound but it had an air of cheap about it that sound effects were later added.

Archived