Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did man really land on the moon??

spaceboy

I do believe that man were walking on the moon, however if NASA would like to fake it, would it be really so difficult to do?

I guess in these times film making technique and special effects were not as good as today, but with sufficient government founding, I guess they could fake it.

But, biggest problem would be to convince Russians to cooperate in this conspiracy or make them believe that USA did go to the moon.

With regards to reflectors and space ships remaining on the Moon surface – unmanned missions could do it as well.

As I said before, I am not believing that humans didn’t go to the moon, I am just saying that faking it was not impossible.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read that you can't point Hubble at the moon because it would burn out the sensors. I don't suppose fitting it with an ND filter was high on the list of priorities. :)

I think it also has to do with Hubble is geared up to explore deep space and the moon is simply too close to show any detail. There was no need for the Hubble to be configure for looking at the moon as there are plenty of land based telescopes for looking at the moon plus it's far easier and quicker to send a probe to the moon than say Andromeda.

I remember standing in the my grandparent's back yard, gazing at the Moon, with (doubtless) the Apollo 8 (Xmas 1968) astronauts circling it. Although nearly blind, my Grandad (D.O.B: 1884) quietly mused: "Just imagine... MEN are really out there, going around that...". Clearly a believer! :)

My grandma interrupted: "C'mon IN, you silly beggars - You're TEA's getting cold!"

Some people have no sense of wonder... :D

As I said before, I am not believing that humans didn’t go to the moon, I am just saying that faking it was not impossible.

Not impossible no but, lets be honest the technology and money needed to send all this kit to the Moon, The retrieval of Moon rocks (that had to exactly match the genuine Russian ones before they knew what the Russians would bring back), the lunar orbiting probe and lander transmitting the voices (To convince the Russians and the rest of the world). The landers and tracks of the rovers that they left to convince the younger generations and the continuous pay offs to every single employee to keep his mouth shut would cost more and be more difficult to achieve than sending a man to the Moon.:)

So it's not impossible just utterly ridiculous.

I do believe that man were walking on the moon, however if NASA would like to fake it, would it be really so difficult to do?

I guess in these times film making technique and special effects were not as good as today, but with sufficient government founding, I guess they could fake it.

But, biggest problem would be to convince Russians to cooperate in this conspiracy or make them believe that USA did go to the moon.

With regards to reflectors and space ships remaining on the Moon surface – unmanned missions could do it as well.

In the 1960's, no matter how much money was thrown at it, it was impossible to fake the way things move in a 1/6 gravitational field....this isn't slow motion, but different acceleration etc....look at the films.

It would also have been impossible to convince the Russians to play along, and again, impossible for every one of the many thousands involved to keep their mouths shut and not let the cat out of the bag for over 40 years.

So, actually, it is impossible they were faked.

Rob.

EDIT......In an infinite number of universes, there are an infinite number of possibilities, so maybe somewhere all of these issues were solved, but it certainly wasn't in this one ;-)

Try all you might: no matter how detailed and accurate the piccies you publish are, you'll never convince the 'doubters'. It's the way we're made. After all, we all know how God deliberately buried those dinosaur skeletons in the Earth's crust specifically to tempt us and test our faith.... :)

And they couldn't have walked on the moon now could they - hung up in the sky like that, they'd have fallen off. ;)

Now excuse me whilst I potter along to the Flat Earth forum for a nosey around. Must book up my trip to the Ice Wall at the Edge, one of these days - they say, if you lean over far enough, you can see the Elephants which hold the Earth up.... :D:rolleyes:

Two points,

1. You indicate that atmosphere is required to move through space whereas in actual fact it is easier to move through a vacuum due to a lack of air resistance.

But to move you only need to produce a force in one direction to get an equal and opposite reaction and hence movement I.e. Give your floating spaceman a fire extinguisher and he'll move no problem or the surface of the moon to apply a force to using his legs.

2. The question of "what is space" which i think you are also considering is a hell of a topic..higgs bosen..quantum foam..all interesting...i dont have a clue on that...and at the quantum level even more rediculous with pairs of particles appearing and destroying each other spontaneously...

Thanks NC

While I now understand gravity is the reason why man can walk on the moon. From memory a documentary I watched said the moon walkers could only spend small amounts of time on the surface as they found it such hard work getting about. This if correct would seem to contradict the environment mentioned in the thread. Vacuum means less resistance and so easier to move through coupled with less gravity surly would make for a Super Armstrong ? An astronaut can walk in a space suit on earth but has to loped on the moon?

Thanks NC

While I now understand gravity is the reason why man can walk on the moon. From memory a documentary I watched said the moon walkers could only spend small amounts of time on the surface as they found it such hard work getting about. This if correct would seem to contradict the environment mentioned in the thread. Vacuum means less resistance and so easier to move through coupled with less gravity surly would make for a Super Armstrong ? An astronaut can walk in a space suit on earth but has to loped on the moon?

Hi Spaceboy,

I think those spacesuits were pretty heavy & stiff mate, hence the effort required in moving around in them.

Also, while it's a long time since i sat in a school Physics lesson :D, i seem to recall something about a difference between mass & weight.

You weigh 1/6th earth weight on the moon but your mass is the same, in freefall you are weightless, but your mass is still the same, mass only becomes a problem when you want to stop moving.

I'm sure this has some relevance to your question about walking on the moon, err,but as i said i'm a bit rusty.:)

Hi Spaceboy,

I think those spacesuits were pretty heavy & stiff mate, hence the effort required in moving around in them.

Also, while it's a long time since i sat in a school Physics lesson :p, i seem to recall something about a difference between mass & weight.

You weigh 1/6th earth weight on the moon but your mass is the same, in freefall you are weightless, but your mass is still the same, mass only becomes a problem when you want to stop moving.

I'm sure this has some relevance to your question about walking on the moon, err,but as i said i'm a bit rusty.:D

:) Now I really give up. Over my head ;)

I'm pretty sure someone would have mentioned this already, however there are far too many comments to sift through for me so I will say it anyway.

Yes there is definitive proof we went to the moon, there are light reflective panels on the moon. That alone is enough evidence, not to mention many other reasons to believe we went to the moon.

This thread is provocatively titled and attracts the conspiracy trolls. The title doesn't reflect the nature of the question. Come on, guys, we can do better than this on an astronomy forum.

You are quite right, but this is an 'open' forum and we welcome any kind of input and statement of views, however ill-informed or ridiculous; and there is nothing wrong with a bit of humour and spirited debate. Chill out! I will call someone a troll when they start becoming deliberately disruptive or abusive to others. No-one has done that yet on this thread.

This thread is provocatively titled and attracts the conspiracy trolls. The title doesn't reflect the nature of the question. Come on, guys, we can do better than this on an astronomy forum.

Thank you Umadog for trying to get the thread back on topic but TBH I think the whole physics behind how man can walk on the moon through space may well be beyond my knowledge anyway. My passion for astronomy has me asking these questions but it doesn't always mean I will understand the answers :)

It was my error choosing this title :iamwithstupid:but thanks to some of the posts I now kind of get how the astronauts were able to get around on the moon. I still don't and doubt I ever will get the whole vacuum, space and now mass thing but you can't win them all.

It all makes for good reading anyway.

Archived