New to forum

avrojet

Hi

I live in Cheshire and have an interest in looking at the night sky. I've looked at this site on and off for sometime and must admit that most of the topics discussed go over my head. I only have some bins to look through at the moment and would love to own a scope but most of them are way out of my price range. I have tried to look for shops that do finance but had no luck upto now. My interest started years ago whilst on holiday in Wales. I stepped out late one night looked up and was amazed to see the milky way and so many stars that I was gob smacked. Also having watched programmes like the Sky at night, Brian Cox's series recently only fires up the interest. Look forward to becoming a part of this forum and may have one or two questions in the future!

Thanks

Mark

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Mark, it won't take you long to join into conversations here.

Maybe you could also join a local society to you - they are likely to have observing evenings - at least then you'll get to look through lots of telescopes and when the time is right to buy one you'll know what type you want to get.

Cheers

Ant

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.

A pair of binos is a great start in finding a lot of objects and therefore of learning the night sky. Sure a scope might resolve a bit more detail but binos are so easy and intuitive to use. Ant's point of going along to your local astro group to participate in one of their observation evenings is invaluable in setting out your observing 'datum' line as to what type and size of scope will best meet your expectations in the future. Deciding on kit is something that should take a fair bit of time in any case as there are many considerations like set up times, cooling down times, mobility and ease of use etc. I would also suggest that in addition to astro clubs, you look out for observing groups (not always one and the same) in your area who regularly go out to observe the night's sky, there maybe a group on here that is local to you.

One last suggestion would be to get hold of the book, "TURN LEFT AT ORION" which is a very good introduction to the night sky which includes information and directions on how to find specific objects that can be seen with your binos and small scopes. There is a new edition (spiral bound) that should be out there soon that contains the most up to date charts and tables. However, if you come across an older copy that is cheaper, it would still be worth getting hold of as the objects and their directions will still be relevant to your needs.

Clear skies in the meantime

James

Archived