Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Council taking the micky

spaceboy

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I knew I could get away with it I would cut the dam thing down and lay turf over the hole in the ground. Trouble is I decided to go about doing it the "right" way and now I have motive written all over me if any damage to the st light was to occur.

cant find that schematic now :)

must have been pulled

you would think that we had the numbers here to form a petition letter for Downing street

still, i think this is a loosing battle.

im going to wait for the solar flares in the next couple of years :(

If I knew I could get away with it I would cut the dam thing down and lay turf over the hole in the ground. Trouble is I decided to go about doing it the "right" way and now I have motive written all over me if any damage to the st light was to occur.

at least you dont moan about it :):D

Can't possibly be routine maintenance as the dam thing still lights up in the day. As for taping up the light again that isn't going to happen. They don't look that high but when your balancing on that little pole hanging out the side it's a scary experience. Not to mention for some reason the actual top bendy part and light was wobbling about every where while I was doing it. I'm not the fearless teenager I once was and the heart was a racing that either me or the light was going to end up crashing to the ground.

I have shuttered up the fences as best I can to block the light but the one giving me the most bother is just to high as the path leads up a slight incline making the lamp considerably higher than it would be on level ground. In the summer a tree blocks most of the light but then of course summer nights are shorter :)

My post was just to gas of if anything as I have admitted defeat. They are well aware of the problem as I have told enough people at the council yet all there priorities lye with allowing it to awash my garden with stray light. I can only assume they consider it a high risk spot ???? I can only hazard a guess as the path is on a slight incline and ice often occurs during the winter months when the nights are longer that they feel the need to make this a well lit area to avoid any court cases ???? Still looked well lit to me even with the tape on but then I'm bias. BUT they can't even be bothered to come up with an excuse. They just keep on telling me the issue has been resolved :(:)

Well "such is life" I will just have to put up with it in the hope it breaks beyond repair.

I am late coming into this thread but have posted replies to others.

here is the link to the institute of lighting engineers which states that after curfew the maximum trespass should be 1 lumen

"Light Trespass (into Windows) – These values are suggested maxima and need to take account of existing

light trespass at the point of measurement. In the case of road lighting on public highways where building

facades are adjacent to the lit highway, these levels may not be obtainable. In such cases where a specific

complaint has been received, the Highway Authority should endeavour to reduce the light trespass into the

window down to the after curfew value by fitting a shield, replacing the luminaire, or by varying the lighting

level"

http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/pdfs/ile.pdf

If I'm honest I feel like my will has been broken and I no longer want to waste anymore of my time trying to get it sorted.

If an opportunity to get it resolved in the future arises then I will jump on it but I'm no longer going to chase after it as it's humiliating. I have reason for the light to be shielded but all my neighbors may feel different. I have to accept that in next to no time the tape was removed yet after several months of typing letters and getting palmed off nothing was done in terms of shielding the light from entering my garden. I can only assume as I live in a council property they don't feel obliged to do anything for me???

Thanks everyone for you advice but my local council have made it clear where I stand. I'm surprised I haven't had a bill through my door for someone taking the tape off.

We contacted the local council about the light outside our bedroom. 3 weeks later we contacted them again to say nowt had been done, when the person on the phone said that it had. We went out to look and the dozey workers had painted the cover next to the lamp post, not the end shining on our window!! We phoned again and the girl said, after a long pause..." well, I have nothing to say!" The right end has now been paineted!!

And cost me a fortune to !!!

lol shud have sed black bin bag...im sure that will dim it a tad....but i have no symphathy with councils that simply wont listern and peeps are forced to take "other" methods of "sorting" it out....and why on earth we need street lamps at all is beyond me....with cctv and auto security lighting on most peeps houses these days then street lighting shud be a thing of the past in my eyes....there are some places that would need them i think but spaced every 30 or so feet is a bit OTT....they can save money too if they limit them....my pennyz worth ...rant over :)

The people to write / e.mail are your elected representatives, ie: your MP and your Local Councilor. In the current economic climate, the budget savings case might have more weight than it has had before.

The people to write / e.mail are your elected representatives, ie: your MP and your Local Councilor. In the current economic climate, the budget savings case might have more weight than it has had before.

done that, got party political swill, "if we were in government, blah blah blah"

sorry to hear this ,me it took about 3 months to get sorted they painted 3 street lights out for me ,i rang the stret lighting dept up every day i got my mp involved and the british legion(x squaddie of 11 years in the light infantry) and i went for a meeting with the council they were very negative,i live on a small terrace at the end of my village,keep at them light pol is classed as the same as any polution and get on to the mp in the goverment that deals with this

Trouble is, the councils get a complaint that a particular lamp is being a nuisance pollution wise, and so the attenuate it in some way, then sometime later, about 50 more residents complain that the same lamp is faulty, and can they please restore it its former glory :).

Archived