SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Council taking the micky

spaceboy

"Does anyone know where we stand legally if we were to take to the paintbrush and paint method to just paint out the sides of the lenses, leaving the light to shine straight down? "         

I know someone who did just that. (painted the side of the light)

I certainly don't advocate doing anything like that.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you are breaking the law ( Highways Act ) if you interfere with Council street furniture which also includes street lighting. The lighting Authority has also legal cover for persons carrying out acts vandalism. It has also been made very clear in preceding threads that any suggestion of vandalism to street lighting is an Infringement of the CoC. any further suggestions along these lines and the thread will be locked, so please take care.

"Does anyone know where we stand legally if we were to take to the paintbrush and paint method to just paint out the sides of the lenses, leaving the light to shine straight down? "         

I know someone who did just that. (painted the side of the light)

I certainly don't advocate doing anything like that.

Street lighting and nuisance lighting are contentious issues on an astronomy forum and suggestions on how to 'fix' the situation sometimes defy common sense.

The moderation team would like to remind all posters that CRIMINAL DAMAGE IS ILLEGAL - do not post suggestions of criminal damage on SGL.

This includes air rifles, black paint, pointing lasers at the sensor, tampering with the electrics (you could die) and 'anything' else that prevent it from working.

Suggestions of illegal activity, even in jest,  concerning tampering with any nuisance lights will result in 'WITHOUT WARNING' sanctions from the moderation team.

If this is unclear or you feel you cannot comply with this request please do not post on this subject.

Many thanks

The SGL Moderation team.

Street lighting and nuisance lighting are contentious issues on an astronomy forum and suggestions on how to 'fix' the situation sometimes defy common sense.

The moderation team would like to remind all posters that CRIMINAL DAMAGE IS ILLEGAL - do not post suggestions of criminal damage on SGL.

This includes air rifles, black paint, pointing lasers at the sensor, tampering with the electrics (you could die) and 'anything' else that prevent it from working.

Suggestions of illegal activity, even in jest,  concerning tampering with any nuisance lights will result in 'WITHOUT WARNING' sanctions from the moderation team.

If this is unclear or you feel you cannot comply with this request please do not post on this subject.

Many thanks

The SGL Moderation team.

And it's took 6 pages to make this statement?

Rob.

Rob.

Do we really need to constantly remind people of the law??

The moderating team likes to credit the members on here with enough savvy not to need us constantly posting reminders.

Rob.

No it didn't, if you read through the posts, it took one person to mention vandalism; after that suggestion we received a couple of complaints/reports on the matter and it was discussed among the moderators.

It seemed like a good juncture to post some text as a reminder that SGL will no longer tolerate the suggestions of criminal damage - even in jest.

Rob.

If you care to READ the 6 pages you'll realise that the first 4 and a bit of these pages were posted some 2-3 yrs ago. when it was reopened by the op to give an update to his circumstances, there were comments made that were deemed unfit, hence the post.

I'm unsure what you hoped to achieve by posting this?

For the record I went round a similar route, in Romsey Hampshire about 15 years ago.

I think the trick was I just phoned up, asked to talk with the lighting department, got someone who actually dealt with lighting and discussed the problem and possible solutions.  The route at the time cost me I think about £70 but effectively eliminated a light from my southern view.

Time from phone call to fitting was a week or two at most.

The key was sidestepping the endless bureaucracy endemic to councils.

Derek

Members are supposed to read the Code of Conduct, AND digest it's contents It is  as a condition of membership that they do so.

It's abundantly clear that many members could  here under false pretences,

because they probably haven't read the CoC.

Warnings against criminal damage suggestions, are continually being ignored,

hence the perpetual reminders.

It's analogous to buying a telescope and mount, and failing to, or couldn't be bothered to, read the manual.

Hence when a problem arises, they blame everything on whatever comes into their head. Which is never, never, themselves strangely enough.

Ron.

Archived