long time astronomy fan, just getting round to actually doing it!

Acidmanic

hi all.

ive been a fan of astronomy ever since i can remember, now in my early 30's and finally getting round to getting my first scope.

ive read the various info on the net and have come up with some basic criteria on what i want to see: 1. moon, mars, jupiter etc with decent detail, 2. deep space object (galaxies etc).

so far my understanding is that my primary focus is good aperture. Anything from 125mm and above for decent planetary details.

i live in a city (dublin) but have some light shielded observing areas close to where i live.

im not sure if i should go for a reflecter or refractor scope.

my understanding is a refractor is better for city viewing but a reflecter gets better value for money for aperture.

i live in an apartment so cant have a too bulky scope.

ive come up with the following two choices:

<H1 class=headline>Bresser Messier NT-203 203/1000 EXOX 2 Telescope

http://www.optical-systems.com/bresser-messier-nt203-2031000-exox-telescope-p-16678.html

or

<H1 class=headline>Bresser Messier AR-127L 127/1200 EXOS 2 Telescope

</H1></H1>Bresser Messier AR-127L 127/1200 EXOS 2 Teleskop kaufen bei Optical-Systems.com

any help in choosing between the two would be much appreciated, or if im in totally the wrong direction, send me the right way!

thanks.

d

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Acidmanic! Personally I don't think you need to spend a fortune on your first telescope. You can get a great telescope like a Skywatcher Evostar 120mm f.8.3 Refractor or a Skywatcher Skymax 127 Maksutov-Cassegrain for under £400, both are highly portable, quick to set up and will give you years of trouble free viewing. I would also recommend that you join your local astronomical society and try looking through a few different scopes, see how large different telescopes are and how much they weigh, to get a good idea of what telescope is best suited to your own personal circumstances.

Hey d,

like other people have said. Binos are the first best bet. Learn the sky a bit. Thats what im doing. I Discover something EVERY single clear night out. buy a few books and trawl the forums.

30 something - heck you are just a "young upstart"! We have some new members in our club that are well past 60! I'm coaching one of them, right now .

Welcome, and I hope you find the answers to all your questions here. Jim S.

Archived