Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Bristol!

DaveGarland

Hello all! I've been a member for a few weeks now so figured I should finally say hi. I'm Dave from Bristol as you have probably already gathered. I have only recently bought a telescope, a Sky Watcher Explorer 130 and on the few clear nights I've managed to get out loved every minute. Obviously Bristol is a reasonably large city so has some LP but I live right on the edge so it's not too bad.

I'd like to know about any local events and of course I'd welcome any good advice and top tips.

Dave.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave - welcome to SGL !

I'm based at Portishead so not far from you. The Bristol Astronomy Society have viewing nights at the National Trust's Tyntesfield House which is near Bristol. Those are quite fun !.

Hi Dave - welcome to SGL !

I'm based at Portishead so not far from you. The Bristol Astronomy Society have viewing nights at the National Trust's Tyntesfield House which is near Bristol. Those are quite fun !.

Thanks for that! I've had a quick look at the website and I'll definitely give that a go sometime. The weather doesn't look too promising for tomorrow though. Does it get busy there?

Oh, generally use the phone app to view this by having just used the. Website, everyone's equipment is listed at the bottom of their comments. Do I add this information through the "Edit Signature" tab? Not that I have that much equipment yet.

God, I'm such a beginner lol!

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum from another Bristolian!

If you want to know about where to go to get away from the light pollution, send me a personal message (top right of your screen under your own tag) and I can give you some details.

Clear skies

James

Hi Dave and welcome to SGL ;)

As well as the various astro socs around the country you can go to a "star party" (usually in a secluded dark campsite and held once or twice per year). Look in the Star Parties section and check out Salisbury Star Party (SSP) which is probably your nearest :rolleyes:

Archived