NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sunny Lincolnshire

nigel999

Hello all,

Just saying hello from south Lincolnshire.

I'm very much a beginner, in fact I've not started yet! :D

I've had interest in astronomy on and off over many years but even after much study of equipment , I've never got round to actually spending my money.

However this time I'm determined to get into the hobby in a practical way. My interest has been lifted by my interest in photography, I find the idea of astrophotography very appealing.

So, I'm hoping that the forum may be able to help me in time with equipment choices. I've been doing some study and I *think* I have a *very* rough idea of what I need.....

We shall see :hello2:

Best to all, Nigel

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nigel,

Welcome!

My interest in astronomy has definitely been focused on astrophotography rather than visual observation, so you're definitely not alone.

Be prepared for a lot of indecision about the equipment you want to purchase, but given your existing interest in photography, you may already have a DSLR camera. If so, you're half way there - There are plenty of brilliant images taken with DSLRs.

C.

Hi there Nigel, welcome to SGL :hello2:

Before making a start into astro-photography I really recommend that you read Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf).

Easy to read, it's full of good advice aimed at the imaging novice, including choosing the right equipment - explaining what kit you'll need and, more importantly, why. Helping you avoid poor choices and costly mistakes. There's also loads of tips 'n' tricks and other vital stuff.

Have a trawl through the imaging sections too. They're full of info and some very experienced and talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

Thanks for the welcome everyone :hello2:

Thanks David O for pre empting my planned first question. The book you mentioned sounds *Exactly* what I was looking for...so "Making every photon count" will be ordered tomorrow, in fact I may even do it tonight

Carl, yes, the DSLR is a Nikon D3100...so as you say, part of it already fulfilled.

Well, Tod, the scope I *think* I shall be getting is a short tube refractor of 80 to 100 mill approx. Mainly because as well as Astrophotography it must be usable as a terrestial scope for long range wildlife watching and again photography.

We shall see though. I've been reading the review of the 102mmm Ikharus, and to say I'm impressed is an understatement.

Oh yeah...I did note a couple of times that an image was noted as being taken with a DSLR that was "Unmodified" for astrophotography.

Can anyone point me to a thread what explains what these modifications to a DSLR are for astrophotography?

Cheers, Nigel

Hi Nigel and welcome - loads of advice avaialable here so ask away - if you're seriously considering astrophotography, and, as you've probably ordered Make every Photon Count already, read it before making equipment choice - Good luck!

Hi There... As mentioned above "Making every photon count" is a great investment for an astrophoto amateur. I bought it and whilst I only really understood about 50% of it at first read... I learn more everytime I pick it up :hello2:)

Just an update..."Making every photon count" has been ordered.

I didn't order from the link David kindly gave me, as I have an aversion to Paypal...so First light got my order. Author will benefit though

It will turn up soon enough.

Thanks folks.

Cheers, Nigel

Archived