Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What obsy do you have and show us yer pics

spaceboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found yet another pic.

Trip down memory lane spending the day looking through old pics. Made me realize I'm going to have to get some organization to all my photo disks. Going to take months it will be dark nights again by the time I get it sorted ;)

Get the dob... come on over to the fleck side ;)

Seriously thinking about it, keep the tal/eq5, sell the rest and get a 250 flextube auto instead of building an obsy..............but i would have to learn the dreaded collimation

Because we don't have any light pollution beyond Aix and Marseille about 60 miles away, and hidden by mountain range 'light baffles,' I just built three roll off sheds. MIG welded steel chassis, wooden cladding. The sites themselves are relatively sheltered from the wind so there is rarely an issue. This is one of them, with the TEC 140/Tak mount minus the spaghetti of imaging cables.

I do plan to build setups with integral warm rooms, though, because I would like to sleep 'on the job' just next to the scopes. This would allow me to monitor the kit without the level of sleep deprivation that I have at the moment! I must say, the Mesu mount with no meridian flip really does have my attention...

Olly

850633827_iA2is-M.jpg

The luxury is the darkness of the site. The Milky Way can be a bit of a pain, but hey!

Olly

George...your obsy looks quite compact and bijou until you open it up. It's like the Tardis. great job. ;)

By the way, what diameter is your pier and what sort of gasket are you using around the base. Many thanks.

Had to buy one of those waterproof sockets, nearly fainted when the person rung up the bill ;)

Great thread! Fantastic setups built and to be built.

laser what are you building?!?

Spaceboy, hope you don't mind a bit of banter :D but it don't arf remind me of this..

MdiyOleXQ94

Couldn't help it:evil6:

George...your obsy looks quite compact and bijou until you open it up. It's like the Tardis. great job. ;)

By the way, what diameter is your pier and what sort of gasket are you using around the base. Many thanks.

Its 10inch stainless aircon tube we had left over from a installation at work, gasket came from the project and they use them where pipes went thru walls, partitions etc.

Because we don't have any light pollution beyond Aix and Marseille about 60 miles away, and hidden by mountain range 'light baffles,' The sites themselves are relatively sheltered from the wind so there is rarely an issue. This is one of them, with the TEC 140/Tak mount minus the spaghetti of imaging cables.

I must say, the Mesu mount with no meridian flip really does have my attention...

Olly

The luxury is the darkness of the site. The Milky Way can be a bit of a pain, but hey!

Olly

There's always one who has to ruin it for the rest of us :o:p I'm sure having such perfect conditions you would never understand how much of a buzz it is to actually get under dark skies when all we are used to seeing is constellations and M42. :o

Here's mine- bit of a building site at the moment though.........

As you can see it's not finished yet!

I was following this thread some time ago. Certainly a big build but I'm thinking your gona need to work double time as those dark skies will be upon us before you know it :mad:

These pictures are a bit dated and my setup has changed but apart from being painted green the observatory has changed little apart from having a motorised roof :)

This is by far the most impressive looking pier I've seen on the lounge and I love that the walls are colour coded to the OTA.

Had to buy one of those waterproof sockets, nearly fainted when the person rung up the bill ;)

Spaceboy, hope you don't mind a bit of banter :p but it don't arf remind me of this..

Couldn't help it:evil6:

:D:D:D Nothing wrong with a bit of banter Glen :o

Your not wrong about waterproof sockets. I was lucky with the IP66 RCD socket and Light switch in that my friend got them on the company account. He supplied and fitted them connecting up to my existing armored supply all for only £80. Could be considered over kill but I like to be safe than sorry not to mention if anyone was ever to come a knocking. You might well own your home and land but it seems you can't do anything these days with out someone else's permission. Having it fitted and signed of by a qualified spark always helps.

I'm still building mine...

Making great progress there Malcolm. Can't wait to see it all finished. I must admit the shed designs offer so much more space with out the difficulties of having to make a dome to fit over it.

hi all just a heads up on there fantastic out buildings for our scopes. please, please please, if you take mains voltage into your out building make sure you are protected. the supply circuit must be via an rcbo, rated at 30mA. this would give you a disconnection time of 0.4 milli seconds should an electrical fault occur, these devices are there to save lives, please use one. who knows if the grass is wet or if a shower suddenly occurs or if there is a breach in a mains cable.

Good point Astropete , an rcd will also give the same discharge of energy protection in fault conditions. ( rcbo & rcd are similar items , rcbo gives overload & earth fault protection in one , rcd gives earth fault protection only).

Archived