Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What obsy do you have and show us yer pics

spaceboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That looks great, but can you only look at the zenith???

Dave

Yes Dave. I have 2 separate hatches. The zenith hatch can be left on if I think dew might become an issue or just to keep me that little bit more cosy ;) visa versa with the main hatch should I for some unknown reason only want to look straight up.

If you contact Helen (Mod) she will arrange to put your obsy in the frame for all to see ;).

Jim

I'm thinking if Helen has already covered this ground and I've now found all the old pics out if it's worth asking MODS just to change the thread title and place it in equipment gallery ????

Most of the materials were picked up S/H, on the cheap from mine or friends works and out of skips. The biggest expense was the wiring as I wanted waterproof sockets should the untoward ever to happen and I have a leak but again I'm lucky to have an electrician as a friend. The total cost all in including aluminum sheeting for dome, paint, electrics, timber, carpet and PVC cladding was around £400 The 8' radius obsy was originally built to house a TAL 200k and for such a short OTA worked out great but I do feel the pinch since using larger 1000mm 8" reflectors. It's OK but when the GT is slewing with 10kg of counter weights you have to be aware of your surroundings shall we say ;)

I do like that, I cannot see the zenith with my SkyShed POD, however I do like the wide opening of the POD.

Dave

I'm surprised at that Dave. Although I have a clear shot at zenith I found that the way the EQ mount orientates the OTA to zenith it's always at an offset to straight up anyway. So in fact it never points straight up through the center of the dome. I would have thought this would be the same with skypods ??

I'm surprised at that Dave. Although I have a clear shot at zenith I found that the way the EQ mount orientates the OTA to zenith it's always at an offset to straight up anyway. So in fact it never points straight up through the center of the dome. I would have thought this would be the same with skypods ??

I guess it is because I have been lazy and have relied on using the GOTO. If I pointed to the target myself I could position the scope on the NEQ6 mount to give a more favourable view. Must stop taking the easy way out:)

Edit: That isn't quite so easy when imaging as the guide scope also has to see near the target.

Dave

Great obsy spaceboy. Looks like an obsy should. My other half will only agree to one that looks like a normal shed. Nothing wrong with them but I prefer the domes purely for the look of them.

Archived