Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Kent!

doubleclix

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Olly, I live on Sheppey, Kent and have never owned a telescope! Hopefully, I will soon though. I've always had an interest in the stars but have never been able to indulge my fascination. I own a DSLR and have taken some shots of the moon, but I really want to start imaging the universe!

Anyway, I've been browsing the forums here for a few days and figured I'd join, it seems the wealth of knowledge here is amazing and I could tap into it to help me get started, then maybe one day be in a position to pass on some advice and info to other newbies.

All the best,

Olly

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Olly, welcome to the Lounge.

Iam a visual only observer, so wouldn't be best placed to advise regarding imaging, I do know you will need deep pockets to set up from scratch. You would do yourself a favour by having a look at this book, written by Steppenwolf, or Mr. Steve Richards.

Available from the link.

First Light Optics - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

Hi Olly

It seems a lot of people use the Canon range of DSLR's for astrophotography but I had the D40 prior to getting my first telescope so plan to use what I have when I start taking pictures.

As long as your camera has a bulb setting (it can take long exposures) then it should be just fine to get started with.

I haven't done any deep sky photography yet but ill let you know how I get on with it.

Hi there Olly, welcome to SGL :)

+1 on getting Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf).

Easy to read, it's full of good advice aimed at the imaging novice, including choosing the right equipment - explaining what kit you'll need and, more importantly, why. Helping you avoid poor choices and costly mistakes. There's also loads of tips 'n' tricks as well as lots of other vital stuff.

Have a trawl through the imaging sections too. They're full of info and some very experienced and talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

Archived