Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Odd One?

barkis

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ron

The main pic sure doen't look like it was taken in Basingstoke :D

As they have no feedback I'd be cautious.

I was browsing scope sales on ebay when I found this. I already have 12" LX, and the info. entries on the Quality Control Doc.

bear no resemblence to what's on mine. There is no Final Inspection Signature either. Bit strange that.

:lol:

They talk about a reserve in the blurb and yet there is £30 bid and yet the "reserve not met" message is not showing - I wonder if they have forgotten to set one ? - or does e.bay not give oyu that message any more ?.

John

I would be very wary of this. We've said before that people have to start somewhere, but they usually start with small things to build up feedback before selling this type of thing.

Call me cynical, but I'd rather be that that stung!!

These items are listed on ebay all the time. Probably a few persons creating a new account each time, hence no feedback. You will notice that delivery details arn't given. If you write to the seller asking about delivery they will then make you a great offer to sell you the scope early for a fraction of its costs. At this point you may feel like making a hasty decision to buy it before someone else does. Its a complete fraud and these people are just oppertunists. Ebay normally removes these autions before they end but not every time. I guess the fraudsters make their money doing this at some poor persons expense.

I have also reported it, but it's still listed.

Even asked if cash on collection was OK ?, here was the answer (not possible due to the fact that i am in the divorce now and i don't want my wife to know i sell this

thanks)

Might be interested if i thought it was genuine.

Why dont we form a merry band of ebay watchers/bidders. Do the same as these folks do, set up a dodgy ebay account. We could then take it in turns to bid for the dodgy items at the last minute to make sure nobody is done?

I'm never quite sure how hard eBay tries to crack down on this sort of thing. Are they just standing back and letting the site become a happy hunting ground for villains?

I wonder if we all signed a pettition and send it to ebay. They aught to be looking at this sort of thing with some sense of urgency.

They should be made aware that unfortunately there are some people who through no fault of their own, tend to be a little bit Gullible, and easy pray for the swine who make money out of this practice. Ebay should really be seen to be doing something to eliminate it, It can't be that difficult for them. They just don't appear to have the will or the guts to get on with it.

:x :x Ron.

They do so much business that they've probably decided that the dodgy operators aren't conning enough people to frighten away the vast majority. There are now some things, for example microscopes made between about 1880 and 1970, where there's just nowhere to go any more, whether you're buying or selling.

I've reported it as well. Maybe if enough report it they will remove it??

However I've been looking on EBay recently for eyepieces and it's a waste of time! Example: -

Celestron "Omni" Plossl - auction won for £21 + £5 P&P (Hinds or FLO price + SGL Discount ~£24 + free P&P, warranty, etc)!!!!

Celestron Ultima Barlow - won for £52 + £2.50 P&P (Hinds or FLO price + SGL discount ~£63 + free P&P, etc, etc).

Whilst there are people out there not doing their research and eager to throw their money away then the fraudsters will unfortunately have easy pickings :)

Cheers

Bill £

Archived