Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meant to do this a while back....Obsy build in pictures

Tim

Looks fantastic TJ, but the sequence runs as though you have dismantled it :).

I wondered where the pics. were, I thought you might have put it on hold pending workload easing a bit.

Ron.

Proper Job! :) A Rolls Royce of obsys :p But do you find it big enough? I'm planning a bit bigger one but with lighter materials as my budget is severely limited.

Looks fantastic TJ, but the sequence runs as though you have dismantled it :).

I wondered where the pics. were, I thought you might have put it on hold pending workload easing a bit.

Ron.

Realised halfway through that they would be in reverse order Ron :p

At least I will know how to dismantle it!

The idea with the door entrance was that it would have been on the front side facing the pond, making it difficult to step back and kick the door in, but it was unworkable.

Gina, how much room do you need? The warm room is ample, and the observing section gives enough room to walk all round the pier with the scope in any position. A bit more room there would have been nice, but I dont have the room, plus timber lengths tend to max out at 4.8m.

The roof slopes upward and deflects the prevailing wind away from the scope.

As for the pond, I have nearly slipped into it in the early hours when we had a good frost :)

Brilliant job Tim. I dream of something similar when we've moved house this year, but my DIY skills just about extend to wiring a plug :)

I feel your pain with the bamboo though - my neighbour planted some next door and it was the most invasive weed I've every come across. Seriously contemplated buying a panda!

Thanks again for the pics and inspiration.

Col

My biggest frustration with the bamboo and Lleylandii is that I hold a licence for supplying poisons, including industrial grade weedkillers that would finish off both of them almost overnight..................if anyone has any ideas about how to make it look like an accident .... :)

He actually planted another lleyandii in the corner, but it was on a bit of land that technically belongs to my next door neighbour, so I chopped it in half.

The only consolation is that they block off the WNW view, and that is roughly where Birmingham sits, and the bamboo is due north where Coventry is, so I have to wait until the target is out of the LP a bit anyway.

Agreed! :) I'm planning a wooden suspended floor for foot warmth. But something like that could still be a good way of running cables.

that's a great obsy,very nice the warm room looks nice enough to live in!

I was thinking of installing a bunk to sleep in :)

I collect scrap wood and have loads of mahogany and stuff out of skips, so lots of the trim is made of that, as is the window frame, door trims, and cover strips on the walls :p The ceiling houses 2 x 12v halogen lights which kick out a good deal of heat, the cavity behind them has a fan at the high end which blows warm(ish) air down into the obsy, it really helps keep the chill off, I dont use a heater in there even on really cold nights.

• 3 months later...

Archived