NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Awkward viewing positions

Although I've had my 200 PDS for a few weeks now I still haven't found the best tube position for viewing. Obviously whatever you do the eyepiece will end up in some strange positions from time to time, but I just wondered if there was an optimal position for rotating the tube in the rings to minimise that. I'd be interested to know if more experienced users have a preferred orientation of the tube to suit most parts of the sky, or is it a case of deciding where you are likely to be viewing and rotating the tube in advance so the eyepiece will be in the best position.

Roy

Tell me about it feel like a gymnast half the time. And having broken my back a couple of years ago in a motorbike crash. I would be very interested in other peoples thoughts. As it's the one thing I struggle with and nearly always prevents me having long observing sessions

Jake

Astrophotography :(

Until someone invents a equatoral mount OTA ring rotator (a very easy idea :p) then slapping a camera to your scope is about the only way. :D

You could add a servo to it, then control the servo with a level sensor. As the EQ mount moves, the servo rotates the scope in it's ring.

I unscrew the tube rings and rotate it by hand the tighten up again - it's a pain. One reason I want to use a camera! Pity no camera has the resolution of the human eye and they even struggle to match the sensitivity.

Those rotating rings look nice but not the price!

Do a simple DIY dob mount for your OTA and for those low down subjects get a cheap kitchen height-adjustable barstool (£19 at Aldi etc). Then put a green laser pointer on your goto-EQ mount to show you where things are.... done! :D

Still sometimes awkward but not as often as an EQ mounted OTA.

Although I've had my 200 PDS for a few weeks now I still haven't found the best tube position for viewing. Obviously whatever you do the eyepiece will end up in some strange positions from time to time, but I just wondered if there was an optimal position for rotating the tube in the rings to minimise that. I'd be interested to know if more experienced users have a preferred orientation of the tube to suit most parts of the sky, or is it a case of deciding where you are likely to be viewing and rotating the tube in advance so the eyepiece will be in the best position.

Roy

I´ve seen I think at astronomy shed on youtube an extra ring placed at the top of the tube so you can rotate when needed without the scope slipping.:D

Laser cut the scope tube just before the spider. Next place a low expansion/movement bearing on the outside (this would have to be one very accurate large diameter bearing) and attach so that the two cut edges of the OTA are so close they're almost touching.

Then you can rotated the EP by rotating the entire top of the OTA with the spider and secondary :D

I have done the tube rotation by hand, but tube rotation rings are a great upgrade, can't do it at the mo as I have just bought a C100ED to make my life easier as I had a stroke about a year ago and my left side is very weak. I can't believe there is such a clever invention! :D

The simplest method I have found is simply to have the eyepiece mount-side, rather than out to the side as the OTA livery would suggest you do. That way, the eyepiece is always within reach. It doesn't mean it's necessarily easy to get to, but for a runt like me, it does mean the eyepiece is more likely to be low enough for me to look through it without steps.

Archived