SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hey guys, looking for some help if you are interested?

EGN TIMELORD

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome Duncan.

As has been said, put in your 25mm eyepiece as this will give you the lowest power.

If you can see things through the scope in daylight, then the collimation won't be so far out that you can't see a star, so don't worry about that for the time being.

Just aim the scope in a direction where there are plenty of stars, and adjust the focus, as it sounds like you are probably a long way out.

Stars should appear at some stage during the focus.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Duncam and a warm welcome from me too

As others have said, your problem really sounds like focussing - if you've focussed on spmething during the day that'a a kilometere or so away, you will have to re adjust the focussing a fair way to get the stars sharp

good luck and stick with it!!

First of all thanks for all the comments and i will reply to them all the now lol. I didnt know there was beginners section as only joined forum yesterday but will have a look and if i have any more questions then i will be sure to post them there. It has screws for adjusting the small mirror yes, not sure about primary, will have to look. I realise its not the best and just got that one because of price etc (if i had known about this other one £130 one then i would defo have gone with it lol) If I enjoy looking @ stars etc (and im sure i will) then i will most certainly get a better scope. As far as weighing it down i think its the scope that is not right rather than the tripod (screws holding it to stand and the other one for securing it). As for the eyepieces, to be honest it think they are cheap and useless lol. Doesnt say anything on them apart from size..... 20mm,12.5mm and 4mm. And no i am not offended by you saying my telescope is rubbish, i am sure i will find that out anyway and then sell and buy better lol.

Duncan, I think the best might be to take the scope to your local astro society. They will be able too see any issues with the score and also give you a few pointers about how to make best use of it. Where snouts are you?

Duncan, I think the best might be to take the scope to your local astro society. They will be able too see any issues with the score and also give you a few pointers about how to make best use of it. Where snouts are you?

I am in Edinburgh area. Okay, so I spent a bit of time with the scope and now have it sorted, I find somethiong with finderscope and can then see it through main scope. I have found the starts and satur.... i think though, to be honest that the scope is just rubbish. What is the best to view Saturn with out of my eyepieces??? 25,12.5 or 4mm. They all seem pretty rubbish and i cant get the slightest bit of detail and im pretty sure i have focusing correct etc. When I used the 12.5 I thought i got a slight glimpse of the rings and assumed if I then used the 4mm that I would defo be able to see them but when I put that in it wasnt any better. (the rings could have just been my eyes playing tricks butr I dont think so.

Hi again, Duncan.

sounds like you might be right about the scope, but don't give up on it just yet. Get over to an astro soc (I don't know your are but there is a list of societies here: Federation of Astronomical Societies - Member Societies) and see if you can borrow a decent eye-piece - the optics in the scope may be OK but let down by plastic EP lenses.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

J.

Hello there,

I am currently using a borrowed cheap scope too (before I take the plunge into purchasing). I manage to see Saturn by using the 12.5mm lens I have. I find my 6mm is too tight to stay with the planet long enough and the focus is sooo delicate that is simply blurs too easily. Still, with the 12.5mm and a steady, wind free night, I can make out the rings. Make sure you get it right in the middle of the scope for the best picture as cheaper scopes are not parabolic.

Hi Duncan; I had similar problems with a store bought scope a relative bought my son for x-mas.I took the scope off and checked the mount for " play " ,it was really bad.I tried tightening the existing hardware on both the mount and the tripod with only a slight improvement so I bought some thin brass shim material at the local auto parts store and shimmed out 90% of the remaining "play"and used a thin film of anti seize to lubricate it,vast improvement.If your mount uses a tension rod for altitude "up and down" ,try putting a small piece of self adhesive felt pad on the end of the knobbbed bolt, it will help to smooth out the friction for easier fine movement.When you slew the scope in either axis push on both the front and rear of the scope, it helps to reduce twisting of the tripod.Hanging a weight will help to stabilize the tripod,I also used an 8" piece of 6" pvc pipe centered under the tripod on the ground,the weight just fit inside of it so it keeps the weight from swinging when you adjust the scope or the wind effect but you could use 3 tent pegs or rods pushed in around the weight.The bottom line is you may have to come up with ways to get as much error out of the setup as possible to get the most out of it.Hope some of this helps.Good luck.

Archived