Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horizon to Horizon ISS Pass 25-04-11 UK

Psychobilly

There's Another Twilight Horizon to Horizom pass tonight for southern UK.. being around an hour after sunset there may hopefully be some colour on the western horizon..

Its basically W-E and Directly overhead for me so might go and find somewhere interesting to go an photograph it...

Peter...

Make sure you all check your on info from calsky or heavens above with yout lat and long set properly...

Penclawdd for me its mid tide so hopefully get the ISS over the salt marsh and loughor estuary... but as with anything that pre-planned and mentioned the weather will probably go awry...

i also had a quick look on stellarium, and it should pass right next to Pollux (from my location).

seems like a good place to set my telescope up to try to get a glimpse of it through that.

Never tried it before, so should be interesting

If you install Heavens above app on your smartphone it will give you an alarm , compass etc to help you catch the pass...

I start shooting a few mins before and continue shooting a few mins after the actual pass this allows me to combine the ISS Pass and the other shots as a startrail...

For exposure... I take test shots at ISO800 wide open with the camera on manual.. and make sure the focus is preset and then on manual I lock it using a bit of micropore tape... and the zoom if the lens has it as you dont want them creeping..

If theres an interesting foreground you might want to take a seperate exposure for it and drop it in later...

Peter...

i also had a quick look on stellarium, and it should pass right next to Pollux (from my location).

seems like a good place to set my telescope up to try to get a glimpse of it through that.

Never tried it before, so should be interesting

I did that on Friday night with my 32mm EP and caught it dead centre - only took about a second to pass through FOV but there was a distinct "H" shape - tried to track it - no chance!!

3rd night in a row i have seen it now, this time i dragged my sister out to see it. She was impressed and so was i.

I don't think i will ever get tired of seeing it and i look forward to the day i can attempt to track it with a telescope but untill then i will have to do with my eyes :)

just seen it, a very impressive pass.

took my dad out, who is regestered blind, to have a look, and even he was impressed!!

just caught a glimpse of it in my scope, unfortunately it was too quick for me to pick out a shape.

i was like... "oooh there it is... ooh its gone... uhm... what did it look like?":icon_scratch:

:)

Did not see a thing, it's normally hard to miss too. I was all set up with the camera hoping I could get envisat just after as well.

Not sure what happened there:icon_scratch:

I decided to go by eye rather than the watch and missed the lower part of the pass...

Heavens Above on the Android phone was adding double BST so gave the pass start at 22:26 local I was rather worried :) so I connected up to the HSF site and that confirmed the earlier time...

Anyway here's the pic but not with the ISS trail starting low above the houses like it should have :eek:

Penclawdd%202026%20UTC%2025-04-11%20ISS%20Pass%20Small.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, Peter.

I did not go looking for it, but happened to be setting up just before 9.30 and was looking around Arcturus as one of my alignment stars and saw it. Incredibly bright, was expecting something much fainter. Took me a moment to realize what it was, then remembered I had seen the thread.

Another 'tick in the box'.

Archived