NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fine doubles and a ghost.

cotterless45

A dull looking sky soon showed some very pleasant views. By 11 , Pegasus was well high in the east with Cassiopeia half way up in the north.The heavy Moon was setting fast and overhead the Summer Triangle showed so slight glow of Milky Way.

A few double stars split down to 1.2" at up to x267 .These included Σ 2289 and Σ 2107 in Hercules. I couldn't believe how clear and stable the splits were.

Onto Ψ ( Psi ) Cassiopeiae , a lovely delicate triple, worth finding . Try the bright galaxies NGC 185 and

NGC 147 in Cassiopeia.

Aquila looked very fine and a real beauty, NGC 6781. This is the planetary nebula "The Ghost of the Moon". Very ghostly looking against pin sharp stars.

The sky was improving with M31 showing as a wide glow sweeping around Andromeda.

The cloud was clumping up and soon blanketed the sky from the west. Just a lucky break giving super views,

Nick.

post-6974-0-29653400-1437888227_thumb.jppost-6974-0-66327900-1437888241_thumb.jp

Nick,

Fine report as I now expect from you.

Had a go last night but with the heat of the last week (38 plus every day) the sky was jumpy anywhere near the horizon, even Saturn was like it was at the bottom of a stream. Overhead was not too bad but the mosquitoes were out in force all wanting their pint of blood.

It is really odd I would have though very hot and cloudless, which it has been for 10 days now, would mean much of a muchness seeing wise but that is not the case, some nights are very good, very good indeed.

Nice one Nick :smiley:  I have been hooked on doubles lately and I am finding them quite fascinating, so much so that I have just ordered the double star atlas second edition.

Archived