Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 26th Feb - GRS, transits, shadows and occultations

DrRobin

Hi,

Wow, what a night, so much happening with Jupiter's moons tonight I now have a full SSD.  The session started with Io & Callisto's shadow, then Callisto and Europa occultation and finally Io transit with it's shadow, the GRS on the left and Callisto, Europa in a tight group to the right.

I imaged for two hours from 19:40.  The seeing was very variable, but probably best between 20:30 and 21:00.  The first to come out of the processing is the following taken at 20:46.

post-10602-0-92165200-1424993184_thumb.j

This is 20% of 6,000 frames in RGB (no de-rotate or drizzle) and shows Io & shadow in transit, with Europa and Callisto to the right.

Processing of the rest to follow.

Robin

Well done Robin - I was sure that I'd already replied to this last night (early this morning).  It was a great night to be out under clear skies, watching the moon, shadow and GRS transits, occultation of Io and Europa and then catching a nice alignment of all four moons.    Nice capture here and look forward to seeing the derotated version.

I too got lots of data and although I think it was a good night visually, the quality of my captures was not as good as expected from watching the previews.    Not quite sure why, but perhaps some fast seeing at higher altitude or the effects of moisture in the atmosphere.    Hope that your data yields better results ;)

An excellent, detailed image Robin. It was all happening with Jupiter ! Great transit and moon captures. Always interesting to see how Callisto has a darker albedo than the others and it is clearly evident here! Well imaged! :smiley: 

best regards,

Ralph

Thanks everyone.  Still working on the occultation sequence, it is 16 images taken about 40 seconds apart.  Might be best as an animation, if I can remember how to do it.  Then there is the double shadow transit and the endless re-processes to go.

Great job Robin, I can see that your scope is well tuned now!  :smiley:

Regards

Harvey

Cheers Harvey, in no small part down to your help last year, I now have a C11 rather than a large jam jar.

Robin

Hi,

I have had a break from processing the occultation to have a go at a shot earlier in the evening when Io was transiting Jupiter (slight red disc just to the left of centre), Io's shadow was visible as well as Callisto's shadow at the other side, with Callisto and Europa out to the right.  The non-drizzled version came out a bit grainy so I reprocessed several times with drizzle to get this image.

post-10602-0-64436100-1425205705_thumb.j

Taken at 19:44 and using 30% of 6,000 frames per colour (noise higher than normal) it is about the best I am going to get with the conditions at the time.  I did take another run just a few minutes later, but sadly the conditions look even worse and the two shadows weren't visible long enough for a third go.

Robin

Hi,

About the best image from the night.  Jupiter, Io, Io's shadow, Europa and Callisto from 21:30.  This is 20% of 6,000 frames de-rotated video, drizzle and combined using WinJupos.  It looks like Callisto has a small black dot in the center, this appears on all three images so looks like a surface feature rather than a stacking artifact.

Robin

post-10602-0-72583200-1425513603_thumb.j

Archived