SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Getting there, step by step - ORION

Yeah, back again (sorry). But having sorted out my problems with my star halos caused by the settings in DSS, I have now had a go at combining two images to keep the core from burning out. Not going to win any awards but I am quite happy with it as my "first" proper Orion shot. I'm proud enough of it I sent a copy to my mum! 

Essentially:

27 of 29 60s ISO1600 shots stacked for the Nebula

30 of 30 20s ISO400 shots stacked for the Core

Stacked in DSS with minimum processing to match the output TIF files. 

TIF Files opened as layers in GIMP, aligned and a layer mask attached to the top Nebula Layer.

Used the paintbrush to blend the two layers and saved as one after a bit more processing in GIMP.

I think the ISO1600 shots over-cooked it a bit, so there is some noise in the darker areas, but I'll just go back to ISO800 for the next ones.

First image shows the output from the Nebula stack, complete with burnt out core

post-35662-0-08768300-1422215242_thumb.j

And then the second image after blending the core

post-35662-0-99856900-1422215346_thumb.j

As I said, it won't win any awards, but I am happy that I am making some progress. Next to try and eke out a little more for the subs and try and get them up to 90s and will keep trying to get more detail out of the images.

So to everyone starting out like me.....keep at it, it is amazing how quickly you can progress in your knowledge of this astrophotography lark, so don't give up. Obviously the more you learn and the better you get, the more it is going to cost you, but the nights of banging your head against a brick wall of clouds, rain, bad subs, poor processing and general frustration are worth it when you finally get a picture that you like.

And thank you for everyone for humouring and helping me this far. I'm bound to be back again and again for more questions but, hopefully, I'll be able to start helping others as well!

Clear Skies!

Definitely. Taking the images is child's play in comparison!  :grin:

Polar align, add scope, add camera, add cable, focus, laptop BOOOOOOM!

Processing has probably 1,976,432,224,566 additional variables to worry about....so many programmes, tools, algorithms, tweaks and menus.....

Anyway, I'm hooked......here I come HEQ5.....

Thanks Stuart and Alexxx.

Yeah, I "cheated" a bit as I was running out of time (core body temperature) on Saturday night so only did 5 darks/bias/flats, where I usually do around half the number of lights. I suspect that, coupled with the higher ISO increased the noise quite a bit. But seeing as the higher ISO appears to have had very little (if any) positive impact on the amount of data I collected, I'll drop back to ISO800 for future efforts with Orion and try to stretch the sub length a bit more, I keep looking at the HEQ5 and salivating....and then remember the price.... :-)

I'll have to give that some thought if I do get into longer imaging - it is less of an issue at the moment when I am only doing 30 or so 60s exposures, but I will need a more efficient system as I get more into this. I have an old mobile that I could use as an Intervalometer, so that is always an option.

To be honest, it is only an issue as the scope is out the front of the house when capturing Orion so I need to stay out with it. Although we are in a cul-de-sac, I am a little paranoid, and have already had problems with the local cats playing with my USB cables!  :grin: When I have been imaging in a northerly direction I can set it up in the garden and stay in the warm!

Archived