Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it me, my setup, or is the seeing bad recently?

Bart

Got the scope reasonably well collimated the last couple of nights and no detail on Jupiter or Mars. Got better detail with less expensive eps.

Feel as if the gear should deliver good views but they're just not there. Anyone else getting poor views currently?

Ps. The BCO has a glare north/south while other similar fl EPs do not. Have I got a smudge that needs cleaning. Previously had great clear views through it with no such glare

Thanks for comments

Barry

even with what looks like clear skies I've dumped 200gb of data on the planets as its frankly no where near as good as I was getting in mid march
I've improved my tracking and focusing and tweaked my capture methods but no matter what I do the last 2 weeks have been very poor for imaging for me
some things that may be causing this are the jetstream, moisture in the air, moon being a pest (mars last couple of days)
my best sessions were on cold frosty nights when I was fighting dew :(

I have a rather inexpensive bit of kit ,a power full torch once dark point it skywards switch it on if the beam is thick close he roof and goto bed if it's thin and does not travel far power up and rock n roll

Pat

Yes, despite re collimating, decided it may not be worth the effort these days. Might just hang up the astronomising boots for the moment and concentrate on enjoying the nice evenings and catching up on sleep. Mind you, sat evening looks good at the moment and might get some deep sky viewing in before the family start the camping season :):)

Time to concentrate on spending time with the kids, methinks

Barry

As an amateur meterologist I do naturally link the two hobbies together.

The good seeing last night I guess was the result of high pressure over the UK. So little air movement. This high pressure has developed recently and moved in from the atlantic and so the air is not as polluted as when the air comes from the continent. So 2 + 2 equals 5..

No seeing is not the same as transparency..if that bulb was not in the sky I dare say transparency would have been good but not excellent. For that a clear NW wind flow I find works best to spot those pesky fuzzies but on nights like that seeing can be poor or wibbly wobbly to use the technical term.

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

hoping for a decent couple of days
forecast says very little cloud if any temps down to zero (helps keep the camera's cool) and very little surface wind and not a lot of High altitude wind
lets hope its correct

If the BCO was fine before, i wonder if the glare you see is from a bit eyelash grease - you do get close to orthos. Might be worth a clean Barry.

andrew

Yeah, probably right. Thanks Andrew

Barry

Ups and downs here in London, lots of clear nights recently which has been nice but only last night was the seeing very good.

So good I got 375x mag out of a little 6 inch mak on Jupiter. Was a proud moment for the little one :)

Why however is there this correlation between full moon and clear skies?

Hope our clear spell comes your way too!

Archived