Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader clickstop 8/24 caution

Baader click zoom 8/24 mklll If you are thinking of buying one of these be careful I'm now on my 3rd one 1st after 24hours of having it it seized would not zoom in .2nd was sent to me that went the other way and went very loose and started to come apart NOT GOOD.for the price of these and being that they are now on mklll you would have thought they would have sorted it all out by now.yes the eye piece is g8t very clear and nice to use when they are working.:)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baader click zoom 8/24 mklll If you are thinking of buying one of these be careful I'm now on my 3rd one 1st after 24hours of having it it seized would not zoom in .2nd was sent to me that went the other way and went very loose and started to come apart NOT GOOD.for the price of these and being that they are now on mklll you would have thought they would have sorted it all out by now.yes the eye piece is g8t very clear and nice to use when they are working.:)

I'm sorry to hear that, I've had mine for a few months now and it's had it's fair share of twisting...I hope you get it all sorted!

Clear skies and a working Baader for you sir :icon_salut:

Dan :)

It would appear they rushing them through QC recently to get them on sale... I have two of the early Mk IIIs and both have had no issues whatsoever. I use them without the large eye cup for binoviewing, for which they are ideal.

I nearly bought one at Astrofest from Astronmias stand. However their test model on the table was stiff ( you could hardly move it). Imagine that happening while trying to view an object you'd be pulling your scope all over the place. So I cried off and bought a Panaview instead.

However, my Brother in Law has one purchased from them a few weeks prior to Astrofest, and his works fine.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I just thought I'd add to this thread. I had a Baader mk3 zoom for about 22 months and it has now seized up 10 months out of warranty. It hadn't showed any signs of the zoom tightening up over this time, just last time I set up it has almost completely jammed up :( . I am currently liasing with F1 telescopes to replace/repair. Don't fancy my chances though and they seem less than keen to help.

Regards

Greg

Baader click zoom 8/24 mklll If you are thinking of buying one of these be careful I'm now on my 3rd one 1st after 24hours of having it it seized would not zoom in .2nd was sent to me that went the other way and went very loose and started to come apart NOT GOOD.for the price of these and being that they are now on mklll you would have thought they would have sorted it all out by now.yes the eye piece is g8t very clear and nice to use when they are working. :mad:

Mine fell apart after a few nights out. The nose unscrewed itself and would not re-tightened, I wouldn't touch another.

No signs but don't store it in the cold, I think that is one way to accelerate the onset of seizing, it has something to do with the grease they used I believe.

My own one went the same way, it was fine but due to weather etc. I didn't use it for over a month and when I did it was very stiff, a few twists later it was seized solid at ~12mm, it will turn between 8 and 12mm but won't go further. Out of warranty too :(

Apparently the mark iii has a lubricant free mechanism, so it isnt a problem with grease... I imagine such a mechanism has little tolerence for play so once things start to wear, something moves out of place and gets stuck. Fortunately mine seems ok after a year or so.

Strange that it seems temperature related... Maybe a rubber component or something doesnt like the cold, the mkiii is the first to be weather sealed iirc.

I must say this thread has put me right off the idea of getting a Hyperion Zoom for travel purposes, when I cannot take all my EPs along. Not nice at all. I am not too surprised that the problem is temperature related. Even small differences in thermal coefficients of expansion can cause trouble if tolerances are tight. BTW, even if Baader gives a year warranty, don't EU rules dictate that it should be two years. Besides, given that all these zooms seem to be failing in the same way, it can be argued that this is a design error. I do think that consumer protection could well cover that.

i recently sold mine ,i found the clickstop movement was very smooth and it had been out in the cold quite a bit . i wonder how common this really is ,was it a specific batch perhaps ?

i only sold mine as the low end magnification was rather tunnel like for my taste, but i had great views of jupiter with the high mags.

Just a quick tally and 50: 50. Seven people with problems, seven are OK.

I'm sure that's not a true ratio considering all the EP's sold but it shows that if you don't get your quality control just right the reputation of a otherwise good EP can be tarnished.

Just for the record mine's OK after a year.

Archived