Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader clickstop 8/24 caution

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Just to update this thread, I've had a reply back from F1 telescopes stating the warranty on the Hyperion mk3 zoom is 2 years according to their supplier so I can send mine back for a replacement. Happy days!

Hope I get a new one this is one great eyepiece, I've felt a bit lost without it on my last observing session. Works great in both of my scopes!

Also I should add, I kept mine in a flight case in the shed so the problem could well be temperature related? All I know is when I get my replacement I'm keeping my eyepiece case in the house.

Greg

It is a shame that this eyepiece has had its reputation tarnished with these seizing issues. It really is a great eyepiece to have in your case. I certainly wouldn't make your decision based purely on this thread, I think people will more likely come online to share a grievance with a product but rarely to praise said product IMO.

I had my first zoom for almost 2 years with no problems what so ever, based on the pleasure I've had using it I would still recommend one, certainly for beginners.

Greg

I bit the bullet and started stripping mine down the other night, still not got to the root of the problem but I've discovered couple of things, there is a small amount of grease in the workings but there's no way it's responsible for the seizing. I've got the outer shell off exposing the inner mechanics, the moving element runs up and down on nylon bearings in three helical slots in the body and a fourth bearing runs horizontally round the nosepiece end. All these bearings run free and though the top one is a bit damaged none of them are the cause of the problem. To get deeper inside I need to remove the main eye level lens and it's proving stubborn.

Mine has a very smooth action and no problems.

It's got its plus points but the ER is a bit tight for me. Also, it's not that sharp at the edges which means more DOB nudging to keep things central. Overall, I don't think it's a keeper in the long term. But I'll hang onto it for a while longer until I know which magnifications I prefer. Then I'm going to switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived