Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Black Velour Telescope Flocking Material

FLO

It's absolutely superb and having just done a 10" skywatcher dob tube it is in my opinion as good as or even better than the far more expensive Protostar stuff I have used on a number of scopes in the past.

...It's manufactured in Germany by D-C-FIX and is extremely black and has better adhesive qualities than Protostar. A month on and I can see no evidence of any fibre shedding on the mirrors

We can now supply the same D-C-FIX 45cm x 1m rolls of black velour flocking material, they will be on our shelves ready for dispatch first week in January :icon_biggrin:

This is a premium quality ultra-black velour material with a convenient peel-n-stick self-adhesive backing to enable you to easily apply the light absorbing surface where required.

Price is £7.

Thank-you to Dave Gibbons for his thread here on SGL :icon_salut:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scared of Surrey writes:

What we need now is for some community minded spirit who a) knows what they're doing; and :) is about to flock a scope; to do a step by step guide with photos ;-)

Not that I'm at all scared if taking my scope to bits and sticking stuff to it or anything. Not me. Not even a little bit.

Scared of Surrey writes:

What we need now is for some community minded spirit who a) knows what they're doing; and :) is about to flock a scope; to do a step by step guide with photos ;-)

Not that I'm at all scared if taking my scope to bits and sticking stuff to it or anything. Not me. Not even a little bit.

I found this on the Cloudynights site which has pics:

Flocking a Newtonian - How To

Excellent, I'm in the market for some right now! Think I'll need about 5 to do both scopes. Would you say that's about right for a 250px and an 8" f/4?

If you order five we'll send six, then you can decide later whether you buy or return the sixth roll :)

Well done Auntie FLO!! :)

This stuff is great - Iamjulian, a member on SGL put me onto this stuff a few months ago and it is EXCELLENT. I even flocked the inside of my dewshield! :(

I have honestly noticed the images being slightly more 'contrasty', compared to what a saw previous to the flocking.

If you order five we'll send six, then you can decide later whether you buy or return the sixth roll :)

That's a kind offer, but I think I'll just order 6 so I have some spare. Saves messing and wasting your time sending stuff back :p I'll put the order in some time this morning.

EDIT: 6 rolls ordered :(

• 3 weeks later...

Placed an order yeserday.

Probably only need a tad over half for the Klevtsov 200K, but the rest will come in handy.

Getting some hole punches, so I can make some neat holes for the various nuts inside the ota.

Andy.

Placed an order yeserday.

Probably only need a tad over half for the Klevtsov 200K, but the rest will come in handy.

Getting some hole punches, so I can make some neat holes for the various nuts inside the ota.

Andy.

Got the flocking from FLO, last week, but had to wait til Friday for the hole punches to come in.

I calculated the size needed for the yr 2001 alum tubed F10 Klevtsov as 340mm long & 672mm for the circumference.

I removed the focuser from the back of the ota, then off came the mirror and cell/backplate. Always remember to mark the ota and backplate. I've had mine on and off quite a few times over the years and have never noted ANY loss of mirror alignment. The backplate and ota are precisely machined for an excellent tight fit and are fastened with x6 setscrews. I think the fact that I've never needed to re-collimate is testimony to that precision? As a side note, anyone needing to clean their Klev primary, should take heart at this. Remember that it should be kept in the backplate for cleaning. The baffle tube makes for a good handhold too!! I'd recommend wearing latex gloves, whenever removing the backplate, as it's very easy for the tips of your fingers to find their way onto the mirrors edge.

I cut the required size on a piece of mdf board with a stanley blade & long spirit level, to keep the edges straight and true. With the backing still on I tried it in the tube for size and decided it needed 3mm off the circumference size. Next, I put it back in the tube and carefully pushed on the flocking to mark it's backing. I then cut out the 14 required holes with an 8mm punch. Again checked it in the tube. Finally, off came the paper backing and I used the 'washing up liquid in a basin of water' tip, to dampen the sticky backing and fitted the flocking to the tube. I noticed on one of the edges, where most of the excess water had ran and gathered, didn't want to stick properly, so I positioned the ota on the mount at the required angle and lay a piece of alum tubing, to weigh it down. Next morning the flocking was fully dry and I ran my hand over it make sure it had stuck well down.

Whilst the Klev has good blackening as standard, the difference to the eye, with the flocking installed is striking !!

I'm rather pleased:glasses1:

Thanks to FLO for stocking this stuff:icon_salut:

Cheers,

Andy.

Before....

andyh-albums-my-tal-gear-picture8598-011.jpg

After...

andyh-albums-my-tal-gear-picture15208-flocked-tal-200k-interior.jpg

• 6 months later...
It's absolutely superb and having just done a 10" skywatcher dob tube it is in my opinion as good as or even better than the far more expensive Protostar stuff I have used on a number of scopes in the past.

...It's manufactured in Germany by D-C-FIX and is extremely black and has better adhesive qualities than Protostar. A month on and I can see no evidence of any fibre shedding on the mirrors

D-C-FIX Black velour is back in stock :smiley:

Black Velour Flocking Material

And it's only £ 5.00 a roll in Wilkinson's.............So why is it £ 7.00 here ? ? ?

If you check Dave Gibbon's thread you will see how we came to offer D-C-FIX black velour at £7 a roll. Or you can go straight to my post here.

I don't know what it is like today but back then it was available only intermittently at Wilkinsons and it wasn't available from all branches so we contacted the manufacturer in Germany for a price. Our order is significantly smaller than Wilkinsons (DIY is a much bigger market and they have several branches) so we cannot source at the same price but members here at SGL felt £7 retail was acceptable so we added the cloth to our website and are doing our best to maintain a steady supply.

See, quite innocent and aboveboard :angel:

Archived