New Member : Hello

Farnot

I'm new to telescopes, just bought my first Celestron Nexstar 8 SE, still having issues with alignment and the finderscope. I think i'll purchase the Orion 9x50 offset, it looks like i will slide onto the telescope mounts. I had the skyalign set once I though using 1 star alignment at polaris, telescope said alignment sucsessfull but when i chose the moon, it slew and stopped to about 180Deg. away from the moon. i did something wrong.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Farnot and welcome to the forum.

I don't have your scope so can't help with alignment issues but with my Synscan I always choose the three star alignment for accuracy even though I only observe.

Hope someone can help nudge you in the right direction and clear skies in the meantime!

James

Hi Farnot and welcome to SGL :)

Polaris isn't a good star to use for "one star" align. It doesn't give the handset much East/West information to go on and it has to estimate sky positions based on date/time only.

Ensure you are putting the date and time and your coordinates in correctly (in the right format) and do a two or three star align using one star in the east and one in the west (at least). I think you'll find that will help :(

(also check you aren't in EQ mode if you're using it as an alt/az scope)

Archived