NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi From new member stoneybroke 15

stoneybroke 15

I am a member of Leicester astronomical society and keen to advance from naked eye viewing. Looking to buy a Celestron C8 SGT XLT with equitorial mount or Nexstar SE 8 with alt/azimuth, would like to image in the future and have been told an EQ mount is necessary as alt/azimuth won't track accurately.

On the other hand the alt/azimuth is said to be far easier to set up and much lighter to transport.

Any advice please, and info on star parties would be welcome.

:)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Stoneybroke, and welcome to SGL.

If imaging really is your thing, you will definitely need a driven (at least in the RA axis) equatorial mount.

Alt-Az is easy (I love mine), BUT imaging would be limited to planetary work with a webcam, or, at best, very short exposures with a DSLR.

For the longer, guided exposures you would need to do real justice to DSOs, equatorial it will have to be. And, of course, the heavier (and more expensive), the better :)

Hi stoneybroke,

Welcome to the forum :)

For astro-photography you'll find the book Making Every Photon Count, by SGL's very own steppenwolf, helpful in getting started. It's full of advice aimed at the imaging novice, including choosing the right equipment, tips 'n' tricks and lots of other vital stuff.

It emphasizes the robustness of the mount, seeing as it's the foundation that the rest of imaging is built on.

Also, the imaging section is full of experienced, talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

You'll find star-parties, astro-societies and more in the forum's community section

Archived