Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

hunterz

Hi I have just joind the forum I'm from county durham I have always had a intrest in astronomy and want to buy my first telescope can I get one to start of with for around £100.I was looking at a celestron 114 are these any godd or are there others I should look at

thank you

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi hunterz,

Welcome to the forum :)

You probably won't get much 'scope for around £100, but for about half of that you can get a decent pair of binoculars. Something like this, or this, will give you a great intro to the night sky.

Actually, I agree with David o - I think you'd be better off investing in a good set of bins which will give a better view of the skies rather than a cheaper scope which will also come with a mount (unlikely to be very rigid) which takes a proportion of your budget away from the quality of the lens etc and would be unlikely to be as good as the bins

Hi & welcome

Actually, I agree with David o - I think you'd be better off investing in a good set of bins which will give a better view of the skies rather than a cheaper scope which will also come with a mount (unlikely to be very rigid) which takes a proportion of your budget away from the quality of the lens etc and would be unlikely to be as good as the bins

I also agree that binocualrs would be your best bet. :)

Hi thanks for the welcome from everyone.I have been using a small set of bins in the past and wanted a little step up from them

I have picked up a used skywatcher scope that will hopfully be ok to get started with.

I want to get a half decent eyepice but am unsure what size to get I have seen some adjustable zoom ones are these worth getting or should I just stay with single magnification type.

cheers

Hi hunterz,

Congrats on your first 'scope ! Sky-Watcher are a well regarded brand :)

But if you could tell us which one you've got yourself and what eyepieces it came with we'll be better able to suggest suitable EPs to add to your kit. The Warthog's sticky (Eyepieces - the very least you need) should help too.

As to zoom EPs, the general consensus seems to be that they aren't a worthwhile buy, unless you're willing to spend top money for the very best.

With the right choices you can build up a decent, affordable set of EPs that will work well in any 'scope and last a lifetime. Staying with you, whilst 'scopes come and go to suit your observing preferences/style.

Archived