NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good Astronomy books

Hello,

I have got into astronomy, learnt all the constellations, got a telescope and seen a good number of DSO's. Now I want some good astronomy books that will show me how to find objects in the night sky, key facts and what to expect from them in the eyepiece, and some general observing tips. I know that people rate "turn left at Orion" highly, but some people think that it aimed at the beginner, (which I am of course), but I would like something a little more thorough and long lasting.

Thank you kind people of SGL,

Laurie.

Laurie,

I can highly recommendillustrated guide to astronomical wonders”, on Amazon for £16. Covers every constellation, tells you which objects to view with bino or scope and even covers double stars. I’d be lost without it. I also use the "Sky & Telescope pocket atlas", nice little A5 star maps.

Paul

Hi Laurie,

For getting started, other than Turn Left at Orion (don't under-rate it ! ), I found the following useful and still use them, thoroughly recommended - essential.

The Backyard Astronomer's Guide (full of great advice), a Planisphere (very useful) and a the more advanced Astronomy Hacks (lots of tips 'n' tricks).

Also you can't go far wrong with Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas.

If you live in an area with light pollution then The Urban Astronomer's Guide is a good one too.

For moon-watching try the Moon Observer's Guide.

HTH :D

Hi

The Backyard Astronomer's Guide is my recommendation.

A bit pricier, but good info, lots of colour photos and very up to date.

Neil

a good reference book indeed. but not really what you want as a object locator.

either a star atlas is in order or "turn left" i know of seasoned people who have used this as reference . over 100 objects.

i have a cambridge star atlas,second hand for £2.00 its a good aid.

if you want a book to actually take out with you at night,its a good idea to try and get one with spiral bound versions,which is what im after now.

but dont underestimate turn left its pretty good:)

a good reference book indeed. but not really what you want as a object locator.

Good point,

Read the title more than the post :D

I've got Turn Left as well as the others mentioned, Making Every Photon and of course Sir Patrick's latest edition !

They're all good.

Obviously I set up Stellarium to give me a good pointer as to what I'll see when I step out of my back door........unless it's cloud of course !!

I'm still learning all the constellations myself and with Orion saying goodbye to my backyard for now it will be time to learn something new.

Neil

Here's another vote for “Illustrated guide to astronomical wonders”, it should keep you busy for a while.

The photo's look a bit poor, until you realise that is what you are likely to see through the scope, there are around five hundred page's, so IMHO is good value for money.

I've got "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" and its fantastic.

Each constellation is broken down into double stars, galaxies, nebulae, messier, etc, with ratings on how easy it is to find them, how impressive they look, what they look like, RA and dec., etc.

It also suggests how to arrange your viewing, i.e. follow a sky-polluted list, a binocular list, or view by each constellation, etc.

I also like it because it feels a very personal book due to the fact that both of the contributors are keen astronomers and appear to talk you through everything rather than just state the information.

And its pretty big so there's plenty to keep you going for donkeys.

I've got "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" and its fantastic.

Each constellation is broken down into double stars, galaxies, nebulae, messier, etc, with ratings on how easy it is to find them, how impressive they look, what they look like, RA and dec., etc.

It also suggests how to arrange your viewing, i.e. follow a sky-polluted list, a binocular list, or view by each constellation, etc.

I also like it because it feels a very personal book due to the fact that both of the contributors are keen astronomers and appear to talk you through everything rather than just state the information.

And its pretty big so there's plenty to keep you going for donkeys.

never knew about this book. might have to get a copy myself. you need plenty of reading material to pass away the cloudy days/weeks/months here in blighty :D

Let me also put in another plug for "Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders". Of all the books I have to plan and make the most of my observing sessions - this is the one I repeatedly keep going back to - it's great (you can get it from Amazon)

Let me put in a plug for Astronomy: Journey to the Cosmic Frontier by John Fix. I use that one in class - it is an excellent introduction to astronomy from planets and the solar system to galaxies, etc.

Not exactly a 'read it from cover to cover' book; but friendly, easy to read, and a great reference. Bonus is that it is a highly popular text - this means that although the 6th edition (released this spring) is quite pricey, you can get a cheap used copy (5th or 4th editions are almost identical) for just a few dollars on Amazon (under $15 for a copy in excellent condition.)

Highly recommended!

Dan

Hi,

I am new to astronomy and with the aid of this forum and some very good books i am learning at a good rate, i am still waiting for my Skyliner 200P to arrive, so whilst i am waiting i read whenever i can and like another member has said, whilst the skies are cloudy get stuck into your books.

1. Turn left at orion - Superb for anyone.

2. The backyard astronomers guide - written by 2 very good astronomers with lots of tips.

3. The practical astronomer - Great at explaining the solar system with detailed charts.

4. Illustrated guide to astronomical wonders - Have not started on this book yet.

5. Philips stargazing 2011 - A month by month guide to viewing for 2011.

6. Philips planishere - Handy

I think i will buy the "moon observers guide" and the "sky and telescope pocket sky atlas" too.

Enjoy!

I see what you meen about it being pricey Dan, £74 for the 6th edition:eek:. Looks a good book though. Thank you Dan, and to the other people i havent said thank you to in the thread yet:)

Heh, if you have a youngster you want to introduce to astronomy, you could do worse than to give them one of my books! :grin: Cracking good science fiction adventure based on *gasp* "real science!" (no wand waving allowed!) Lots of schools in the US use them to teach astronomy and space science to middle grade children (Maurice on the Moon is still the most popular), and more new teachers each year are being trained in the Science Through Literature method I developed some years back. B)

The third book in the series, Maurice on the Far Side, has been finished and is being mauled by the editors as we speak. I hope for its release by Christmas.... :)

Dan

Here's another vote for “Illustrated guide to astronomical wonders”, it should keep you busy for a while.

The photo's look a bit poor, until you realise that is what you are likely to see through the scope, there are around five hundred page's, so IMHO is good value for money.

another vote here:D i have this aswell as tlao:p

Archived