Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shall i get up at 03:00?

jayjt29

Should i get up at 03:00 to try and capture Saturn with my shiny new SPC900? :D:)

Just looked at Astro weather and skys should be clear in Leeds around 3am and Stellarium shows it fairly high up.. think i might give it ago unless anyone knows of a better time to capture it!

Jay

Should i get up at 03:00 to try and capture Saturn with my shiny new SPC900? :D:)

Just looked at Astro weather and skys should be clear in Leeds around 3am and Stellarium shows it fairly high up.. think i might give it ago unless anyone knows of a better time to capture it!

Jay

Transit is approximately 2pm tonight? You can capture from midnight I would suggest. WHat's the weather like then?

Have a practice session first, my first night out with my SPC900 captured nothing but blurred images,

I'd say as soon as it's dark enough get out for a few hours, just capturing various objects, then by 3am you won't be disappointed with your results :D

Will have to see what the clouds are like tonight, overcast now. On all weather charts it looks to clear by 02:30 ish

If it is clear i will be getting up, whats the best settings and capture times for Saturn with SharpCap?

Thanks

Jay :D

I would get up in any case.

Back in february I got up early and spotted Saturn about 5am.

Observing another world through your own telescope is an experience not to be missed.

Definitely worth the effort. I'd say grab any opportunity you can.

Jay

I wouldn't - but I need my beauty sleep !!!

If you wait until the end of April it will be closer and transiting around 1am.

Cheers Dweller, will make a note of that. I use Atroweather and an iphone app, they were wrong as its been clear since dark!

10 mins ago viewed Saturn, set up cam ready to rock and roll............. Then cloud!!! Sods Law! Ill stay up and see if it passes.

Jay

I got up at 5am back in January for my first view - Magic - don't regret it at all, however, depending on your position it rises around 8pm (ok too low for a decent look) but by 9.30 to 10pm you should have no trouble - so maybe wait for a clearer night and go for it at a more reasonable hour

Anyway, good luck, let us know how you get on

Andy, just been out for the last few hours, managed to get some clips of Saturn, dunno how good they will be!

I was on my decking and noticed this was not good for vibrations, we shall see im just transfering the videos to my main PC as we speak.... there moving shots, dont see how anyone can manual track unless im thinking of something else! Saturn was passing the cam angle in around 8 seconds or so..

Cheers

Jay

Don't know how people manage to manual track planets! To then edit in registax, any advise? To put me on between now and when I get the duel tracking motors? Will ask in imaging too,

Thanks

Jay :-)

Cheers Dweller, will make a note of that. I use Atroweather and an iphone app, they were wrong as its been clear since dark!

10 mins ago viewed Saturn, set up cam ready to rock and roll............. Then cloud!!! Sods Law! Ill stay up and see if it passes.

Jay

I downloaded that but couldn't get it to select a location on the map (using 3GS & OS4) Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

Dismal............I went back to sleep when I saw the clouds and then laid in for work when the alarm went off because of the time change !!!!

YES- You most certainly should! Saturn was clearly visible in my light polluted area last night and easily seen with a small tabletop scope, so you should capture some excellent images :D

I found it was easily visible from about 1:30am.

Archived