Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

£40/£50 Bino's ?

pss53

hi folks,

wondered if you could be of assistance,

I've got around £50 to spend on some bino's just to take along when I take my scope out to help me find bits etc?

Any suggestions? Not expecting the worlds greatest?

cheers,

Paul.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was fortunate enough to get some Celestron SkyMaser 15x70s second hand from FLO (First Light Optics - Suppliers of Astronomy telescopes, binoculars and accessories) for £35 quidaroony. I understand they were running an offer on the similarly spec'd Revelation 15x70s to the tune of £50.

Why not try giving them a call to see if they're running that offer still?

Kind Regards,

Alex

I did this excersise last night as a result I found myself on the phone to FLO this morning trying to buy a pair of Revelation 15x70's but they are out of stock for at least a month. :)

I think they will be worth the wait though. iirc he said they would be at a higher price but I may be confusing them with the similar Celestron units so may be worth a call.

Hi Paul

I will third that, give FLO a call, you will get good advise and a fair price

The 15x70 Celestron or Revelation are around the price you would like to pay

Great value for the money IMHO

Doug

Essex

the ones on scope and skys, iv read a lot of bad reviews about them (i bought the skymaster 15/70s for my self and the revalation (which are rebadged skymasters but they dont have the gas inside them so make sure you allow them to dry before recapping)

but the adler ones arnt that great from wot i hered

the ones on scope and skys, iv read a lot of bad reviews about them (i bought the skymaster 15/70s for my self and the revalation (which are rebadged skymasters but they dont have the gas inside them so make sure you allow them to dry before recapping)

but the adler ones arnt that great from wot i hered

Good to know.

Ta,

Andy.

I have to say that in my limited experience the best pair of bins I've ever used are the Bushnell Legend 8x42; they are rugged, well built, light enough to have slung around your neck and lift when needed, small enough to pack away easily, and powerful enough to get decent views of the Orion nebula and the Andromeda galaxy.

They're currently twice your £50 budget mind you, but they'll be more practical for quick spotting than 15x70 bins and can easily be mounted to a tripod with a bracket (available from FLO - buy the biggest one for more stability) for hands-free gazing. I could sit out there for ages with just these bins, a sun lounger, and my Sky Scout!

Bushnell 8x42 Legend Binoculars (Water Proof Porro Prism Binocular) 8 x 42

I did this excersise last night as a result I found myself on the phone to FLO this morning trying to buy a pair of Revelation 15x70's but they are out of stock for at least a month. :)

I think they will be worth the wait though. iirc he said they would be at a higher price but I may be confusing them with the similar Celestron units so may be worth a call.

Yeah the Revelation 15x70 do appear to be out of stock right now because if you add them to your cart..............the total cost remains zero.

The Celestron 15x70 appear to be in stock though. They are selling now for £65. I know FLO were selling them up till recently for £50.

Either way.............the Celestron are highly regarded and still a bargain at £65.

When you buy from FLO, it is not just the gear you are getting. Its the whole experience of buying online.

Top notch advice to start with, quality product and service and the after sales care.

Give them a call. They might just knock the price of the Celestrons down to £50 as you are a user of SGL.

It never hurts to ask.

Flo do give a discount to sgl members. But you need to email them for a code beforehand. I think you need to have 5 posts on the forum as well. Details are in supplier part of the forum i think. I did this the other day and got a bit off my order - which was nice :)

I placed an order for the Revelations about 10 days ago and i may have got the last pair the FLO lads had in stock. James in the shop was very helpful. He has checked the collimation before sending them and has promised to pack them in a big box so that despite the efforts af all the delivery men, they should arrive in one piece. Can't say fairer than that!

Bart

As a first pair I would recommend 10x50 binoculars as you can hand hold them for longer. They are sold in Lidl very cheaply every few months, but you might not want to wait!

My second pair were 15x70 (Helios) which were around 165 pounds but I like them a lot. I mainly use these now, as in light polluted skies they show more and it is possible to hand hold them for short periods, but 10x50 binoculars are great for getting to know the sky.

I now also have 20x100 binoculars and 20x60, and some telescopes, stargazing is adictive!

For mine I will need to get a tripod. I can hold them no problem weight wise but no matter how much I try to anchor them into my body you do get a slight tremor.

Flo do give a discount to sgl members. But you need to email them for a code beforehand. I think you need to have 5 posts on the forum as well. Details are in supplier part of the forum i think. I did this the other day and got a bit off my order - which was nice :)

I have read of this discount but never knew how to avail of it.

Maybe my orders are not enough to get a discount. I usually spent £30-40 at a time buying bits and bobs.

i have read on their site that the discount is on anything that isnt clearence or skywatcher as they are already mega discounted

Ah ok. I have bought a SW scope from them and a SW LPF and a few other bits and bobs that are not SW.

Honestly..............i think i am too cheap to get a discount.

I only buy in dribs and drabs as the want arises.

I wonder if i would get a discount on say 3 Vixen NPL EP's if i bought them at the same time?

give them a buzz paul you never no unless you ask, when ever i buy summet i always ask, whats the best price u can give me,

like in supermarkets (i used to work on fruit n veg + checkouts) n i had a customer ask me one day after id put his shopping through came to i think 90ish whats the best u can do it for.... because apparently when your given the price its the RRP so in theory u can get ur shopping cheaper, althrough the way supermarkets go i doubt they would do tha :)

Yeah the Revelation 15x70 do appear to be out of stock right now because if you add them to your cart..............the total cost remains zero.

The Celestron 15x70 appear to be in stock though. They are selling now for £65. I know FLO were selling them up till recently for £50.

Either way.............the Celestron are highly regarded and still a bargain at £65.

When you buy from FLO, it is not just the gear you are getting. Its the whole experience of buying online.

Top notch advice to start with, quality product and service and the after sales care.

Give them a call. They might just knock the price of the Celestrons down to £50 as you are a user of SGL.

It never hurts to ask.

Both out of stock when I spoke to them this morning but yes, they were mega helpfull so i would be happy waiting especially given the excellent after service having read numerous threads on here :)

I could sell my Revelations 15x70 if anyone's desperate, bought them from FLO just recently but can't get on with them. Something to do with my eyes / brain, I just see double through them, this being the third pair of 15x70 bins I've tried so I really don't think it's the bins.

I could sell my Revelations 15x70 if anyone's desperate, bought them from FLO just recently but can't get on with them. Something to do with my eyes / brain, I just see double through them, this being the third pair of 15x70 bins I've tried so I really don't think it's the bins.

May sound like a stupid question but have you adjusted the eyepiece on the right also? Only thing I wouldn't though would give you a kind of double vision (bar eyesight brain issues as you say) is that the focus of the left is out from the right? You've done the whole focus with right eye closed then adjust right eyepiece with left eye closed procedure? (I'm sure you have but doesn't hurt to check :( )

Archived