Hello - question for starters

MattG1968

Hi all,

New on here - looks like a great forum. I look forward to getting fully engaged in due course.

I live down in Surrey and have had an interest in astronomy for a long time, which I am now reklinding with the help of my kids!

A question for you all - all advice welcome.

I have just sold my Meade LX-10 SCT, which I had for about 10 years. Great scope in its own way but now I want to step up.

My aspirations are to have a scope which meets the following criteria:

1.Great for DSO and good for planetary/lunar observing.

2.Suitable for astrophotography (definitely an aspiration at the moment).

3.Portable

4.Great optics and as much aperture as possible.

5. Go-To capability:confused:

I have done a fair bit of rsearch so far and have ruled out any kind of reflector. I am torn between a reasonably priced refractor - my first choice below:

Sky-Watcher Evostar 120ED DS-PRO with an HEQ5 equatorial mount

Or another SCT - best choice a

Celestron NexStar SE8

Your ideas appreciated. Budget wise I am not really sure - could go up to £2K ish if required but would rather keep closer to £1,500 or less.

Thanks guys,

Matt

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Matt, welcome to SGL :)

If you wanted a HEQ5 you could easily fit a Celestron C9.25 to it. I use one and it's awesome on the moon/planets, plus you can get low enough magnifications for DSOs.

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL. :)

I just wondered why you've ruled out reflectors? I started with an SCT and have refractors and reflectors and I use an 8" reflector for my imaging system. Is it for technical issues like collimation? Just wondering out loud. :p

Mark

Hi Mark

Yes, basically my understanding is that reflectors generally need more maintenance while a good quality refractor will stay in tip top condition almost indefinitely. I guess the flipside is that you can get much greater aperture for less money with a reflector. Overall have you got a scope that you think might suit me?

Regards

Matt

Hi Mark

Yes, basically my understanding is that reflectors generally need more maintenance while a good quality refractor will stay in tip top condition almost indefinitely. I guess the flipside is that you can get much greater aperture for less money with a reflector. Overall have you got a scope that you think might suit me?

Regards

Matt

Hi Matt

Well the maintenance isn't that much for a reflector - I collimate my 8" before each use but it only takes a minute or two once you've done it a few times and, as you say, you get greater aperture for your cash although this isn't that important for astrophotography.

I went down the reflector route by chosing a scope to suite the CCD I was buying and the mount weight limits. I did some research into the objects I wanted to image and worked out the size of the object in the resultant image with various scopes & cameras. I ended up with the 8" @ F4.5.

The Skywatcher explorers are good value for money. My first venture into reflectors though was to buy a 12" Explorer on an NEQ6. It's not at all suitable for AP for one reason - it's way too heavy with a camera loaded to even balance! Even visual use requires a ladder. :)

I guess the right choice is the scope you like. Every scope has problems and they all have advantages.

Regards

Mark

Archived