NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello all

carolinep

Hello,

I am new to astronomy having been introduced to it by my 8 year old son :D. We are in the process of choosing our first scope, the one we have been looking at is the Skywatcher Explorer 130pm.

I've been really enjoying reading other peoples posts, you do seem a very friendly bunch.

Caroline

Wow, What a wonderful welcome. Thankyou all very much.

Michael (my son) is indeed a very lucky boy, I'm a great believer in nurturing interests (even if it means I'm bitten by the bug too!)

We are going on holiday at Easter on a boat on the Norfolk Broads, so I'm sure that the scope will be put through it's paces then as the skies will be hopefully darker there.

One quick question if I may please, Is it really of benefit to have a motorised scope?

Having read so much about the 130pm I'm sure that it is the right one.

Many thanks once again.

Caroline

No a motor isn't necessary. If you get the mount moderately polar aligned you will just need to keep adjusting the RA slow motion control which is easy enough. Motors are very convenient for observing but can come later. Alternatively if the mount can be supplied with motors at the time of purchase it might be quite cost effective. You only need one motor - controlling the RA axis.

Welcome to the forums Caroline. You son and yourself will get loads of pleasure from that scope, and while a motor isn't strictly necessary, the scope comes with one so you may as well use it. Talk to Steve, I'm sure he'll do you a good deal. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well the deed is done. It's ordered, we've taken the plunge... & yes Steve, the cough was noted. I sent you an email this morning to ask about availability as I'm always concerned with purchasing on the internet n paying then being told "it's out of stock, but, we've got your money now so you can't go elsewhere!!" Been caught tooooo many times.

I'm sure though that this time all will be well. We await our scope...

Many thanks

Just had an email from Steve at Firstlightoptics to say that our scope will be dispatched tomorrow for delivery on Wednesday! Now thats what I call service & with a smile tooo. Thankyou very much

Archived