Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What do you do while observing?

Manok101

I have a big audio collection, and usually I listen to books or podcasts or music depending on what my mood is, it makes it more fun to me, anyone else do the same? Or do you have any other thing you do while observing?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of oooh's aaah's to myself... or the occasional whisper of 'incredible' to myself. Im sure the neighbours think im potty lol. For me the subtle sounds of the night is my music (once the darn traffic calms down!).

I like the music idea tho, might try it one night.

Matt

Lots of oooh's aaah's to myself... or the occasional whisper of 'incredible' to myself. Im sure the neighbours think im potty lol. For me the subtle sounds of the night is my music (once the darn traffic calms down!).

I like the music idea tho, might try it one night.

Matt

I'm exactly the same! I don't think I could listen to anything ...I love that silence, it's therapeutic :)

I go out with my son,we stand and chat, enjoy the silence , and complain at how fast the sky is moving past us! I've just found a little 'scope so my 3yo daughter can join in too! we just enjoy looking up..

Living on the very edge of town all I can hear is cows moo-ing and ducks quacking on the canal 20 yards away (when the fox is on the prowl).

Love the solitude, but always handy to nip inside for a brew. The only hobby where you can spend hours away from home and still be at home...well, 5 yards away that is!

I love music but when I am out in the observatory I work in silence. It's a real escape from the busy noise of the day. Very occasionally on all night sessions I have the BBC World Service on in the background at very low just audible volume.

I love music but when I am out in the observatory I work in silence.

Me too. I seem to need silence to be able to move around in the dark without falling over things. Music / speech radio would be a distraction.

Total silence for me, too.

I live in a small town but fortunately have reasonably good skies. When the daytime noise has stopped and everyone else is in bed, the peace is marvellous and you can reconnect with nature and hear the distant bark of foxes, hooting of owls and snuffling of hedgehogs (or rats!). Heaven!

....When the daytime noise has stopped and everyone else is in bed, the peace is marvellous and you can reconnect with nature and hear the distant bark of foxes, hooting of owls and snuffling of hedgehogs (or rats!). Heaven!

...and, of course, on a Saturday night the beautiful sound of drunken teenagers singing their way home.

Peace and quiet for me most of the time, I live in a small village and once the night time traffic has gone, it is so nice. On rare occasions I have the World Service on in the shed, which is good to listen to while waiting for the kettle to boil.

I must admit I start talking to myself a bit louder when strange rustling, snorting noises come from the undergrowth. I become childlike and imagine wee hairy monsters lurking. Sad but true....:(

I really should know better.

:)

Andy.

Archived