Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Southern Skies

moondog

Just deciding what astro equipment I'll be able to take with me when I fly to New Zealand next week.

I've been before but don't know the Southern Sky. Seen the Southern Cross and that's about all.

Think I'll take the Bresser 10 x 50 binos as they'll fit on the photo tripod I'm taking.

Binos should be better for finding my way round the sky. I've printed out astro maps of the night sky in NZ when I'll be there.

There are objects that I've only seen in books - like the Large & Small Megallanic Clouds, the Jewel Box, Omega Centuri etc.

I'm taking the Canon 350D. Will try to take some widefields of the Megallanic Clouds, Crux etc.

Been looking in my books at exposure times for no star trailing times for the Canon, as obviously I can't take a driven mount with me. Setting the Canon standard lens to 50mm I should get 8 secs on the celestial equator, 12 secs at 30 deg from the equator and 25 secs at 60 deg from the equator. Setting the lens to 24mm I could double the exposure times. It will be warmer down there, so I will have to limit myself to 800 ISO on the Canon.

I'll see if I can manage to bring back a few images that we can't get in the Northern Hemisphere. I'm taking my sketch book as well to try a watercolour of things I can't image.

That's the theory, we'll see how it turns out in practice !

MD

I'm totally envious of your trip to NZ :p, its the one place in the world I would love to visit, despite my fear of flying. The scenery is fantastic!! Plus, you don't have to worry about creepy crawlies that kill, unlike Australia.... :D

Enjoy your trip, and I'll definately look forward to seeing those widefield shots!! 8)

Caz :p

Bought my WO ZS66 to go to Southern skies (Namibia) earlier this year. SO glad I did! The area either side of the Southern Cross (ie Crux, Centaurus and Carina) is particualrly spectacular!! Omega Centauri, the clusters in Carina and the Eta Carina nebula area just have to be seen to be believed (and that was just with a 66mm scope!). I must admit that I find m13 - the best the Northern skies can offer - a bit of a let down now!

New Zealand's a great country and the people are friendly. Enjoy!

Helen

Change of astro gear !

Decided to swap the Bresser 10 x 50 binos for my 70mm Maksutov. With a 25mm plossl I get 30 x mag, plus I can connect the Canon afocal for moon shots.

Mak is lighter than Bresser binos. I've some small 10 x 25 binos for general sky gazing anyway.

MD

If you see Omega Centauri, you have to look also at Centaurus A, aka Ngc 5128. It's northeast of Omega Cent and should be on any charts you have. I saw it from Mauna Kea and it was just spectacular! 47 Tucanae, (Ngc 104), may be a problem, as it'll be low at night, but it depends on the local skies. One day, I'll get that far south... :D

Astroman, thanks for the tips.

I'll look out for Centaurus A. Tucanae should be on the Celestial Meridian, not too far from the South Celestial Pole when I'm in NZ. Should be an excellent object as this Globular Cluster is mag 4.5. It's supposed to be one of the best globular clusters in the sky - let's hope I can see it!

:D

If I can find an internet cafe I'll report on these southern treasures !

MD

Archived