SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn......WOW!!

MrsGilps

Hi all,

We finally saw Saturn for the first time last night :rolleyes: Amazing! We have been waiting for a clear night to see it for ages and were blown away, well worth the wait. Managed to see the ISS too for the first time so that was pretty cool. All in all we are happy bunnies today! :eek:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one!

I'm going to have a look later, if clear. Also to see if I can spot any moons of Saturn... Evil glint there on my part. Titan may show (to me) as a star...

Makes a change staying up late rather than getting up stupidly early. Looking at Stellarium, it should pass through my ESE tree window and over a house at about midnight.

The good thing about observing stupidly early in a very cold winter was that everything had cooled down. Houses included.

I'll see. Or not!

I'm hoping to get out to see Saturn tonight. So far it's clear skies...:) I am a newbie though so the odds of me seeing anything like I hope I will are rather slim. I thought I was looking at Jupiter a few weeks back but now I'm not convinced I was because it just looked like a white star. Fingers crossed with tonight then and hopefully I too can say "Saturn......WOW!!"

cassini division seen in my 80ed tonight,it was a lovely sight:) saturn dont ya luv it;)

It's great that everyone is seeing Saturn - it's looking lovely this year :)

On the Cassini Division, I've seen this in previous years, when the rings have been well presented (ie: wide open rather than edge on or semi-closed) but, having observed Saturn this year with scopes ranging from 4" to 10" I've yet to spot it this year, as yet.

When I have seen it, it's appearance has been quite tiny, as line separating the A and B ring systems, as explained on this webpage (images much magnified):

Weasner's Meade ETX Site

I'm posting this as it seemed to me to be a useful guide to the various features of Saturn.

With an 8" scope, under excellent conditions, I've also seen the Crepe (or "C") ring.

There is so much to see on an around Saturn, it's no wonder it's something that "hooks" people on astronomy more than anything else :p

As I write this I am waiting for Saturn to rise above the horizon. It has but I want it "just a little bit higher" before going out there. I remember when I saw Saturn for the first time. I danced around my telescope. It's a good thing that I have few neighbours, for they would have called the "loony bin" on me.

Isabelle

FINALLY :)

After months of waiting I finally saw Saturn last night using the Dob... and what a sight it is! Beautiful!!

I couldn't quite make out the division but I could see a dark band. Couldn't tell if it was the shadow of the rings on the surface, or the storm as seeing was poor, but it was a sight to behold nonetheless :p

I was looking for it with the bino's at first and I thought it was a Chinese lantern, but it wasn't moving. So I quickly got the Dob out and spent a good 45 gorping at it at various mags. Then I realised it was 2am and I was freezing, so I went to bed :)

Maybe I need to spend a bit more time on it and try changing to different eyepieces etc, not quite got the hang of the scope yet and don't think i'm getting the best out of it.

What scope do you have? Are you giving it chance to cool?

It's a CPC 800, we always set it up and leave it for an hour or so before going out and it has a dew shield and heater thingy on it to keep it clear. I have a 38, 21 and 10 eyepiece and think I should be using the 21 for looking at Planets but not sure how much detail to expect. Still really pleased with what we have seen though, it looks unreal!!

Archived