SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn......WOW!!

MrsGilps

It's a CPC 800, we always set it up and leave it for an hour or so before going out and it has a dew shield and heater thingy on it to keep it clear. I have a 38, 21 and 10 eyepiece and think I should be using the 21 for looking at Planets but not sure how much detail to expect. Still really pleased with what we have seen though, it looks unreal!!

A nice scope :). As Michael said, anything up to 8mm should be good, depending on seeing. I get the best views on planets with my 12.5mm Ortho. Everyone needs at least one short ortho in their kit box. Narrow FOV but superb detail and contrast!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A nice scope :). As Michael said, anything up to 8mm should be good, depending on seeing. I get the best views on planets with my 12.5mm Ortho. Everyone needs at least one short ortho in their kit box. Narrow FOV but superb detail and contrast!

Unless you wear glasses, in which case the Ortho has a rather nasty short eye relief (shame, really, otherwise they are VERY nice)

Jahmanson, I am with you in that I did not see the cassini division the other week through the 8". Conditions weren't brilliant but I was surprised not to see it, scope was well cooled and hardly ever needs collimating.

In the past, I have seen cassini and the enke gap in a 6" when the rings were wide open. I think it is visible clearly when imaging now but probably pretty tough visually still.

Hoping to have a go on Tuesday night with the new 18mm BGO to see whether the much talked about sharpness and contrast can bring it out.

Jahmanson, I am with you in that I did not see the cassini division the other week through the 8". Conditions weren't brilliant but I was surprised not to see it, scope was well cooled and hardly ever needs collimating.

In the past, I have seen cassini and the enke gap in a 6" when the rings were wide open. I think it is visible clearly when imaging now but probably pretty tough visually still.

Hoping to have a go on Tuesday night with the new 18mm BGO to see whether the much talked about sharpness and contrast can bring it out.

Hi Stu,

It's reassuring that I'm not the only one missing Cassini :)

I think some folk mistake the dark space between the planetary disk and the ring ansea for the division. For a high constrast feature the actual division can be surprisingly difficult to tease out in less-than-perfect seeing conditions :)

At the moment I have to view Saturn over the roofs of neighbouring houses so there are bound to be some heat plumes getting in the way as well. I'm looking forward to having a peek at it at the SGL6 Star Party under more accomodating seeing conditions :)

The best view I ever had of Saturn was with a well collimated Celestron C8 under excellent conditions a few years back. At 250x (Tele Vue 8mm plossl) the view was absolutely breathtaking :p

It's great that everyone is seeing Saturn - it's looking lovely this year :)

On the Cassini Division, I've seen this in previous years, when the rings have been well presented (ie: wide open rather than edge on or semi-closed) but, having observed Saturn this year with scopes ranging from 4" to 10" I've yet to spot it this year, as yet.

Same as you John with Cassini. Not had a really clear view of it yet this year. It was there this morning in the very brief nano second steady moments. But it wasn't clear cut as seen previously. Hoping for slightly better conditions tonight. Metoffice gave last night as moderate seeing but tonight is good apparently.

Hi Stu,

It's reassuring that I'm not the only one missing Cassini :)

I think some folk mistake the dark space between the planetary disk and the ring ansea for the division. For a high constrast feature the actual division can be surprisingly difficult to tease out in less-than-perfect seeing conditions :)

At the moment I have to view Saturn over the roofs of neighbouring houses so there are bound to be some heat plumes getting in the way as well. I'm looking forward to having a peek at it at the SGL6 Star Party under more accomodating seeing conditions :)

The best view I ever had of Saturn was with a well collimated Celestron C8 under excellent conditions a few years back. At 250x (Tele Vue 8mm plossl) the view was absolutely breathtaking :p

My best view was also with a C8. Some years back when the rings were fully openand the seeing was just perfect, I actually saw spokes in the B-ring, apart from the Cassini division. I first thought I was seeing things that could not be there, but the spokes remained fixed in position, though varying in clarity with variations in seeing, as I observed them for at least 15-25 minutes. I used a Vixen LV 7mm in that case (288x).

Same as you John with Cassini. Not had a really clear view of it yet this year. It was there this morning in the very brief nano second steady moments. But it wasn't clear cut as seen previously. Hoping for slightly better conditions tonight. Metoffice gave last night as moderate seeing but tonight is good apparently.

Russ, would you be kind enough to post a link to the area on the Met Office site that gives info on seeing conditions. I've looked but can't find anything.

Thanks

Dave

Unless you wear glasses, in which case the Ortho has a rather nasty short eye relief (shame, really, otherwise they are VERY nice)

I wear glasses and it can be a pain, but the view through the Ortho is worth the hassle.

I wear glasses and it can be a pain, but the view through the Ortho is worth the hassle.

I used to have a few orthos, but I was constantly banging my glasses into them. The resultant vibrations negated the joys of the very sharp and clear image. I am all for Radians and similar designs now, though I have heard the NLVs are actually sharper (like an ortho, but with more eye relief according to Mr. Spock), so I might give them a go.

Hi John

I think you are right about it being mistaken for the gap between the rings and the planet. Knowing how difficult it is, it seems unlikely that people are seeing cassini in the types of conditions being mentioned. Good idea to post that link, hopefully it will help explain what is what.

I observed the other week under quite dark skies, but less than ideal conditions, a flood light was causing quite alot of glare in the ep and as Saturn rose it was over houses so quite alot of heat turbulence.

The BGO's should be good I hope, have got the 12.5mm and 9mm too, the 12.5mm should in theory be useable in the mak under very good conditions. I did once squeeze up to x400 on one occasion a few years back using a 10mm Lathanum and the image held up very well. It was quite a sight!

The gap between the planet and the rings is indeed obvious, as is the shadow of the planet on the rings. The Cassini division is a lot harder, but in moments of good seeing not very difficult. Two nights ago there were sufficiently long periods of stable air to use 250x, so it did not surprise me to pick out the division. It was 3:30 a.m. after a long run of observing galaxies, so I was too tired to hook out the imaging kit, but I am sure the division would be imaged easily.

Just for the record,my cassini view was very briefly,came in and out but it was there,i dont know why but this little 80ed is so sharp and detail is amazing,i still cant get over it.

So it never stood out like a sore thumb,just a brief glimpse,i had to watch it for ages and then all of a sudden i had a brief encounter,the rings seperation from the planet are unmistakably that.

I am definately not mistaking the ring gap for cassini myself.And from my location i get a good view of saturn and it was extemely sharp at 187x last night.I have no houses luckily that disturb my seeing.

If i didnt see them i would say so myself,i dont see the point in making it up.

thanks gaz

Hi Gaz

Not doubting you! :-) Good refractors are often better for splitting doubles and I guess Cassini is a bit like that. My thoughts were more about the viewing of it from light polluted sites with poor seeing.

Will give it a try with the astro tech too when I get a chance, the new power mate plus BGO gives x197 which should do the trick

I guess I shouldn't forget that this post was titled WOW! And I still think just that regardless of the scope and exactly what I can see

Light pollution is not that much of a problem in planetary observation, bad seeing is the killer. My best observations of planets have included situations with a full moon combined with a slight haze (which often indicates good seeing). By contrast, I was once in the Negev desert, with the nearest LP source of any size tens of miles away. Observing planets just after sunset, when the air is a boiling mess, is next to impossible.

Just saw saturn for the first time with my 10inch Dob. it was Friday night and the seeing was here and there. but every now and then it would just clear up and the image was perfectly crisp! tried a 6mm giving 200x and a 10mm.

i saw the division every now and then but more impressive to me at least i could see cloud banding on the disk! it was really quite something!

just need my new eye piece to arrive!

Hi Michael

I completely agree that seeing is more significant than lp, but I think it depends on exactly what lp you are talking about. Background sky lp is not too bad, having a floodlight shining into the end of your scope causing a load of glare is bad! When you are looking for a very faint detail then every thing being right helps.

The ease with which it appeared people were seeing the cassini division seemed at odds with my experiences, and those of others, but it should be quite possible in fleeting moments of good seeing as has been reported.

For the record, I am not even considering that anyone is making it up, but it is possible that there is some mixing up of the different features. The link posted by John (I think) makes it very clear and is a useful reference for any new observers

Here's hoping that the forecasts for tonight and tuesday are correct and we can all get out to do some observing!

Stu

Hi Michael

I completely agree that seeing is more significant than lp, but I think it depends on exactly what lp you are talking about. Background sky lp is not too bad, having a floodlight shining into the end of your scope causing a load of glare is bad! When you are looking for a very faint detail then every thing being right helps.

The ease with which it appeared people were seeing the cassini division seemed at odds with my experiences, and those of others, but it should be quite possible in fleeting moments of good seeing as has been reported.

You are right about glare, that is a pain. Regarding seeing, maybe it has been a bit better this side of the pond. I also find that seeing is generally better later at night.

For the record, I am not even considering that anyone is making it up, but it is possible that there is some mixing up of the different features. The link posted by John (I think) makes it very clear and is a useful reference for any new observers

The info is certainly useful to many. Regarding seeing the Cassini division with a small refractor, I do not recall spotting it through the school refractor, though that was just a 70mm F/10 achro. My own first observations of the Cassini division were through the 6" F/8 Newtonian I built (32 years ago :))

Here's hoping that the forecasts for tonight and tuesday are correct and we can all get out to do some observing!

Stu

Keeping my fingers crossed. Weather permitting, I am slinging the scope in the back of the car to get to a seriously dark site and get some more DSOs. Spotting Saturn later at night is the icing on the cake.

Archived