Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope planet back?

Gadget

They may find using that name a mistake. A lot of people got stung by the original Telescope Planet and folk will associate the two regardless of who the new people are.

Well I don't know... The astronomical community is quite small, and if they are good then the word will spread that they're nothing to do with the old company.

However, this bothers me:

I used to live on Lewisham hill, there's no way they've got anything in stock if that is really their base of operations, looks like they're drop-shipping.

Yes I've just found the place in that ultimate spying tool - Google Streetview - and Burnett House is just a housing block.

So the business address is a residential flat in an apartment block. Also, whilst this "expert-shops" is supposedly an international outlet, we don't yet know if any-old-Joe can apply to be a reseller for them - even the old owner of Telescope Planet...

As Patrick Moore would say "We simply don't know..." :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks very dodgy to me??? :rolleyes::mad::eek::mad:

I'll advise to anyone not to buy anything from their website at all.

I've recently bought a SW 12" Dob scope from there about a year ago, but I'd never recieved at all from them even if I'd phoned and e-mailed them countless times, but they taken my money straight away from the bank, without any problems!!!

In the end I had to charge back from my bank, to get my money back from these 'people', luckily my platimum debit card, I was able to charge back just the same way as a normal credit card!!:):mad::):mad::mad:

So guy's if you ever shop to a dodgy site, I would seriously recomend checking with your bank first, reference your debit card if you can charge back with it, I know some banks who don't have this option for certain debit cards, And trying to get your money back might be even more difficult and you probarly end up having to deal with lawyers and court cases, which might not be gaurnteed to get your money back!!!!

Another option is use a credit card instead which charge-back option is already available!!!!!

If Telescope Planet say what they are!!! I would seriously would not trust these 'people', And that brand name will never ever get my custom again. :mad:

I'd be amazed if this was anything to do with the original owners of the domain.

Usually these type of companies start up under a completely different name to avoid problems with customers and suppliers they've left stranded.

To be honest the new site does look like a dropshipper working from home, but if their prices are good and they deliver on time, so what? Everyone has to start somewhere.

To be honest the new site does look like a dropshipper working from home, but if their prices are good and they deliver on time, so what? Everyone has to start somewhere.

Indeed and if that's the case, i wish them the best of luck.

I must admit that I never had any problems with the original Telescope planet. I brought my first SW 10 inch Newt (Blue version) and EQ6 Pro from their shop in Swansea about 3 years ago. I payed cash and Simon who owned ran the place threw in a free SW power tank (7 amp/hr), a good 6 mm EP and a pair of unmarked 15x70 binoculars (I think they are Revelation).

From other peoples comments, I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

It may look like I’m trying to defend this company but I can assure you I’m not. I don’t have the least idea who they are.

However, (edit) be careful what you call them - may be straying into the land of Libel.

Think about it !

Dave.

Ha! Not sure that's legally binding! :-)

There's a widely-held mistaken belief that whatever a company writes in its terms and conditions is upheld by the law. If that were the case, then effectively any company would be able to write the law for themselves: "If you complain, we reserve the right to behead you with an axe."

Fortunately the law doesn't work like that...

In this case, since the business address is in Lewisham, I'd say it's pretty clear that British law applies! (but I'm sure any Lawyers here on SGL will correct me if I'm wrong!) :rolleyes:

They walked of with £600 of my money. 2 days before they went broke. I got the money back after a while from my CC Company.

My thoughts are why would anybody want to buy a domain name with such a bad reputation.

Once bitten twice shy as they say.

Ha! Not sure that's legally binding! :-)

There's a widely-held mistaken belief that whatever a company writes in its terms and conditions is upheld by the law. If that were the case, then effectively any company would be able to write the law for themselves: "If you complain, we reserve the right to behead you with an axe."

Fortunately the law doesn't work like that...

In this case, since the business address is in Lewisham, I'd say it's pretty clear that British law applies! (but I'm sure any Lawyers here on SGL will correct me if I'm wrong!) :rolleyes:

most lawyers i know will "correct" you even if you are right...:eek:

jurisdictional issues can be tricky (and, ahem, expensive...) - the key is often where the defendant's assets are as it's no good getting a judgment and finding you have difficulties enforcing it. I am pretty sure an english court would consider it had jurisdiction and that english law would apply as the place of performance of the contract is here. however, the jurisdiction issue is just one more hurdle a claimant would potentially need to overcome.

Hi all,

This is to confirm TP has indeed changed ownership. Having only taken over the domain name, we are a completely different company altogether and not responsible for any past dealings of telescopeplanet.

We have years of experience in the telescope trade under our belts and strive to be a worthy addition to the UK telescope market.

Archived