Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wonders of the Universe by Prof B Cox

Lurker

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, I know it's probably been posted a few times, But hey at least it bumps to the top because almost everday I see a topic goes to page 2, I don't think people jump to page 2 much, I know I don't but rarely.

Can't wait for it. I got The Wonders of The Solar System on Blu-ray for £10 at Play.com a while back and have watched it right through a few times. Even though I know all the stuff he talks about it still inspires me and amazes me.

Looking at the comments on the article someone has put:

the man is the modern face of astrology

He'll be hopping if he sees that. Pfffffff astrology indeed :)

Looking forward to this, saw a feature on it in the current Sky at Night magazine.

Episode 1 - Light, how light allows us to examine the nature of stars, a visit to Karnak to show how the fascination with light extends at least as far back as early Egyptian civilisations

Episode 2 - Matter, examining how atoms that make up our bodies and most of the world around is were made inside stars. Star formation their death and what they can tell us about the laws of physics.

Episode 3 - Gravity, and looking at how Einstein's General Theory of Relativity allow the description of things like the motion of whole Galaxies to the nature of black holes.

Episode 4 - Time, examining the fate of thee Universe, topics such as entropy and thermodynamics.

The series was envisaged as being more physics based than Wonders of the Solar System, but the reaction to Wonders of the Solar Syatem has resulted in it being a hybrid although it remains more heavily into the physics.

Can't wait to watch it.

Hmmm... Professor Brian Cox...

I just don't get the appeal of this guy. He's like some next-door neighbour whose just discovered public libraries for the first time - not someone with any genuine insight or actual knowledge to impart.

astro geek for the younger generation :o

don't mind him at all :( ok ok, I am a youngish 46 :)

Hmmm... Professor Brian Cox...

I just don't get the appeal of this guy. He's like some next-door neighbour whose just discovered public libraries for the first time - not someone with any genuine insight or actual knowledge to impart.

He's no Carl Sagan....but he's better than nothing :)

I must admit, the Wonders of the Solar System did actually give me the last kick I needed to actually buy a telescope instead of just being an armchair astronomer. Up until then I'd watched very TV programme I'd come accross and bought S@N mag. I think the reaaon this programme did it was because it was pitched at my level and very emotive.

Seen the trailer but not when it was due to air - thanks for the info (I, too, am obviously behind the times)

I trust you won't be watching then Jeremy...? Personally I find his enthusism for the subject infectious and certainly WotSS enlightened me greatly - particularly how interesting other planets moons are.

I have to say I thought Star gazing Live was a big let down though - would have been much better with just the Prof hosting it and not with D o'B trying to be clever at every opportunity - can he ever shut up?.

Archived