NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wonders of the Universe by Prof B Cox

Lurker

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....FLO are still trying to get back on track after SG Live... I'm getting my order in this week before it all kicks off again next week!!

Can't be a bad thing that it's really boosting the popularity of astronomy so much.

Reminds me, must put this on series link before Sunday :-)

Ben

Watch out, Beginners and Advice will be spamming so badly with newbies joining up and asking what " Scope to buy "

FLO, Get your extra stocks ready :(

That'd be me then... :)

Looking forward to this and getting hold of the 'Wonders onf the Universe' Blu-Ray as I missed this when on the telly.

Cheers,

Gary

That'd be me then... :p

Looking forward to this and getting hold of the 'Wonders onf the Universe' Blu-Ray as I missed this when on the telly.

Cheers,

Gary

Hi Gary, yes its well worth it on HD, I have it myself and its great! :)

The Universe Season One

The Planets

Wonders of the Universe

Have all arrived today.

Will be watching the first of Wonders of the Universe tonight and looking forward to it.

Regards

Chris

The Universe Season One

The Planets

Wonders of the Universe

Have all arrived today.

Will be watching the first of Wonders of the Universe tonight and looking forward to it.

Regards

Chris

Chris, think Prof Cox may want a chat with you to discuss to practical aspects of time travel seeing as your planning on watching 'wonders of the universe' on dvd or bluray tonight, think maybe you meant 'wonders of the solar system' ....or did you?? (weird alien music plays in background :) )

Hi Steve,

Ooops! Only had two glasses of wine and already on another planet. You are right of course.

Best I find some nice malt to make me feel better!!

Best regards

Chris

Thanks for the heads up on the Show.

Didn't know the date, just series linked it.

Looking forward to it.

On behalf of all newbies, I'd like to apologise in advance for any

beginner questions that might get posted after the show, if it starts getting repetitive.

I know I was getting stressed out in January trying to setup my German equatorial mount. Fortunately I found setup videos on YouTube which were invaluable, especially on the subject of Polar alignment.

It was well worth it though. After years of just looking up for 5 or 10 minutes getting out of the car, I've now seen Jupiter, Craters on the Moon and recently I managed to locate Saturn at 4:45am, last Saturday.

Luckily, Atronomy goes hand in hand with my insomnia.

Hi Steve,

Ooops! Only had two glasses of wine and already on another planet. You are right of course.

Best I find some nice malt to make me feel better!!

Best regards

Chris

:), ye, have you gone Back to the Future Chris?

You have got some nice programmes to watch there :p

Hi Alan,

Well with malt in hand and laid out like a king on the sofa I watched the frist two episodes and ......................................................................................

Fell asleep!

Oh well I will have have to try again!

Regards

Chris

Look forward to this series. We presently have 'Wonders of the Solar System' in Australia, which we are loving.

Also Brian Cox's birthday today!!!!! Happy birthday Brian. :)

Look forward to this series. We presently have 'Wonders of the Solar System' in Australia, which we are loving.

Also Brian Cox's birthday today!!!!! Happy birthday Brian. :)

Hi Qlddiz, glad you are getting to watch it down there! I guess the new series will pop up in a few months as well :p

Hi Alan,

Well with malt in hand and laid out like a king on the sofa I watched the frist two episodes and ......................................................................................

Fell asleep!

Oh well I will have have to try again!

Regards

Chris

:p whisky is not good for the concentration :)

Oh joy just been going through sky planner with my wife and discovered 'wonders' is clashing with 'south riding' and 'wild at heart' on Sunday, blumming great! nice bit of naff programming by BBC if ever i saw it.

So looks like recording prof cox and 'wild at heart' (must admit would prefer to be fully compus mentis when i watch 'wonders' rather than tired out) and watch 'south riding'. Even so not very good handling by BBC or is it...

Hmmm... Professor Brian Cox...

I just don't get the appeal of this guy. He's like some next-door neighbour whose just discovered public libraries for the first time - not someone with any genuine insight or actual knowledge to impart.

Brian Edward Cox, OBE (born 3 March 1968) is a British particle physicist, a Royal Society University Research Fellow and a professor of the University of Manchester. He is a member of the High Energy Physics group at the University of Manchester, and works on the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider, CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland. He is also working on the R&D project of the FP420 experiment in an international collaboration to upgrade the ATLAS and the CMS experiment by installing additional, smaller detectors at a distance of 420 metres (1,380 ft) from the interaction points of the main experiments.

No actual knowledge :):p:confused::(

What fits your description of actual knowledge in that case?

Not any jealousy involved is there?

He's 43, wearing extremely well, knows his onions, is dead enthusiatic and the girls love him.....good luck to the bloke I say ;)

Hmmm... Professor Brian Cox...

I just don't get the appeal of this guy. He's like some next-door neighbour whose just discovered public libraries for the first time - not someone with any genuine insight or actual knowledge to impart.

His enthusiasm for the subject is what makes him so appealing,he realy cares about astronomy and about trying to get that knowlege across to the general public.

Would you rather someone rabbit on like some presenter from the open university who would put you to sleep after 5 mins?

Dont mistake genuine boyish enthusiasm for lack of insight or knowlege.

Like Marmite - Perhaps it's healthier, not everyone (quite so) adores him? "He's not the Messiah" (Life of Brian) etc. :( Personally, I think it a shame that he proselytises a certain... "aggressive secularity" as somehow inherent to science. But, with their (interminable) sound bites, twitterings and bloggings, there are few "heroes" these days... Without feet of clay? :p

Come to think of it, ol' Bonnie preempted Brian's "Canyon Vista" thing... Shame SHE ain't an astronomer? :)

Brian Edward Cox, OBE (born 3 March 1968) is a British particle physicist, a Royal Society University Research Fellow and a professor of the University of Manchester. He is a member of the High Energy Physics group at the University of Manchester, and works on the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider, CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland. He is also working on the R&D project of the FP420 experiment in an international collaboration to upgrade the ATLAS and the CMS experiment by installing additional, smaller detectors at a distance of 420 metres (1,380 ft) from the interaction points of the main experiments.

No actual knowledge :):p:confused::(

What fits your description of actual knowledge in that case?

Not any jealousy involved is there?

He's 43, wearing extremely well, knows his onions, is dead enthusiatic and the girls love him.....good luck to the bloke I say ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself and yes I am a girl and I love him! haha

Yayyyyy! :p

Wonders of the Universe book just came from Amazon! Don't know whether to sneak a peek before Sunday or try and resist. My wife got me the book for WOTSS for Christmas and I just had to pre-order the new one.

Oh the agony and the ecstasy. :)

just for the record....before we call him an 'astronomer' please bear in mind that he is a particle physicist. That makes him NOT an astronomer.

and around science circles there is a very much mixed reaction to him.

but if he popularises astronomy/astroimaging then thats good. Should be a good show

Archived