Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GMT +2 - Not good news...

Byz1453

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't make a whole lot of difference to astronomers I guess - not extra daylight is gained nor darkness lost. Just means observing will be more antisocial than usual in the wee small hours, possibly a bonus if the council round here start switching the lights off at midnight?

I have never seen any sense in daylight savings, all the arguments for it seem to be quite shallow with no real facts behind them. I would much prefer to see it return to bog standard GMT and do away with the bi-annual confusion and messed up sleep patterns. If we go to CET we will be one of the only places on the meridian that aren't set to GMT.

They covered it on the BBC News tonight. It needs the consent of every parliament/assembly and the Scottish Parliament won't agree cos it means longer dark mornings and that'll affect the kids going to school. Lets hope they stick to their guns.

I'ld get hammered twice as I work 12hr nights, actually look forward to seeing

dawn at 4am during the summer, seems to make the shift shorter, light till 10 then light again by 4. winter arrive in darkness, go home in darkness, makes for a long shift.

Ian

From a central-belt Scotland point of view, the current GMT/GMT+1 combination works quite well. The latest sunrise this year (for example) is 08:44, with the earliest sunset at 15:38. School hours vary between schools and regions, but tend to be 08:30-09:00 to 15:00-15:30 - so the school runs are mostly during daylight, and rarely properly dark.

Worse further up north though, but GMT+2 would make the morning run very very dark indeed.

Personally I'd welcome extra light evenings. It's generally too light in summer anyway for serious observing, and I have other outdoor interests as well as astronomy.

Our climate is so lousy for astronomy anyway that the number of lost hours a year due to the time change would be minimal.

I'll now wait to be excommunicated!

Archived