Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any good books

As in the title, are there any good astronomey books out there for a novice with a little experience.

Eventually i would like to get into astrophotography and i have seen on this forum 'Making Every Photon Count' recommend.

Are there any other good reads out there for setting up equipment and finding my way around the night sky?

For finding your way around the sky "Turn Left at Orion" will give you your first 100 objects and lots of object info. But you can't beat the monthly mags "Sky at Night" or "Astronomy Now". The center page sky guides are extremey useful.

I assume you have "Stellarium" - free to download planetarum software.

For setting up the scope you really need the manual for your scope - books tend to be very general on that (in my experience). If the manuals leave you wanting just pop a question thread in the Help Section and someone will guide you :glasses1:

turn left at orion is a good book i also have making every photon count plus astronomical wonder of the night sky or something like that a friend has it.but all good books with enough information to keep me busy for years

if your only after one book for now i would suggest turn left at orion a good starter book. making every photon count is a must for ap.but you have to be able to find your targets first

as for setting up your equipment i used utube for tutorial videos. as i am very new to this myself

hope this helps a bit but like i say im still very new myself

star

{edit} stopped half way through a post to make a tea and got beaten to it :glasses1:

I was given "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" for Xmas, and I give it a big thumbs up. It has pictures of objects, which when you first see the book, you think they are really poor. However they are a representation of what the object is likely to look like through a scope, a ten inch Dob is what they use, and I think it makes it as good as TLAO. It is also a substantially larger book with over 500 pages, so much more to thumb through during this cloud infestation.

Hi

I found Star Hopping by Robert Garfinkle a useful source for techniques.

Nortons star atlas is very good too it has a wealth of information plus good star charts.

Or if you just want a really first class atlas i would recommend the sky Atlas 2000. I use a laminated copy at the scope and wouldn't be without it.

Hope this gives you a few more options.

Regards Steve

im after "turn left at orion" too. amazon and play are cheapest.

another good book ive got is "backyard astronomer" good allrounder as it were, with a large section on astrophotography. got to warn you though,its a large book indeed.

If you are interested in a general astronomy text, there are two that are excellent:

1. Astronomy: Journey to the Cosmic Frontier by J. Fix (get the 5th edition used - much cheaper than the new 6th ed.)

2. Astronomy Today by Chaisson & McMillan

Both are excellent introductions to basic astronomy from historical astronomy, survey of the planets & their satellites, asteroids, comets, star formation and evolution, solar system evolution and formation, binary systems, galaxies and a little bit of an intro to cosmology.

Not the same sort of book as "Left Turn at Orion", more academic, but not beyond anyone with a high school education. Sure to enhance your understanding and appreciation of what you are looking at.

Dan

Got my 'Left Turn at Orion' 2 days ago and i must say it is very good. Easy to follow and explains everthing really well. Hopefully will be able to use it in the garden in the next few days.

Thanks for all your replys.

Archived