Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hi all just logging in

proflight2000

Hi all, just registered with the site, not a great astronomer but very keen to pick up any tips etc. Up to last year I owned a meade etx 105, used the goto far to much and basically got bored as I let it do to much so I failed to grasp the basics. I am now back in the fold and looking for a new scope so will seek some ideas, thanks, terry.

Hi Terry welcome to the forum, try to set what you really want to do with Astronomy, either viewing or imaging , seems like you have done alot of viewing , dont think you can do to much of this , is it, or was it because you were disapointed with what you saw through the eyepiece , or maybe the GO-TO spoiled the fun of seeking out what you were after , Go to is great for us imagers , where we have to grasp as much clear sky as soon as possible , but i can see your point , so just sit back and think hard on what you would like to do .

Rog

hi el tel,

Welcome back i think that you can get a real sense of achievement from unguided stargazing so i would recommend you get a list of targets and get out there and track them down under your own steam, I'm sure the thrill of hunting down manually will keep you interested this time, certainly has been a plus for me.

Gary

Hi Terry, good of you to join the ranks.

As for tips, you'll get those here in abundance. One of the most memorable tips I received when I first joined the forum was, 'Don't eat yellow snow' Still tickles me now... :laughing6:

Enjoy!

Caz :D

Welcome aboard Terry :D

Up to last year I owned a meade etx 105, used the goto far to much and basically got bored as I let it do to much so I failed to grasp the basics.

Was in exactly the same situation a while back! My solution was to mothball the ETX for a year and use a 10" Dobsonian.

Worked for me 8)

Archived