SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heads up, Sky at Night

Martin 2

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you all prob know this but worth repeating- the sky at night shows are available to watch on-line on the BBC website/ sky at night page. The most recent show won't be on-line for a few weeks but nice back catalogue to wade throu. Handy for all non UK based folks. I also think Mr linseed ? does a sterling job thought his report on the total solar eclipse in turkey was very good as well as having trousers that stop/start around the waist area, love PM but whats with the Simon cowell impersonation?

Gary

I didnt know that, I could have watched it again.

M2

me too mate last night was so good it hurts less though :p

Just watched the late programme on BBC4, the 'extra time' was a comet piece with Chris Lynott, a few extra questions in the Piers Sellars interview, an HST repair piece and Pete Laurence at Patricks observatory talking about the ISS.

They should make the programme an hour!! :D

I have been watching some episodes of Horizon I taped in the 80's and they confirmed

my belief that the BBC has 'dumbed down' considerably over the last decade or so.

No awful mood music, no cataclysmic prophecies of impending doom, just clear and interesting

explanations of science.

The Sky at Night is the last serious science programme left on the BBC. quite frankly I am appalled at the

treatment the 650th episode has received. If the Beeb ever killed off The Sky At Night I'd turn off my TV and

never bother with it again. :D

I have been watching some episodes of Horizon I taped in the 80's and they confirmed

my belief that the BBC has 'dumbed down' considerably over the last decade or so.

I think Horizon has really gone down the tubes in the last 5 years or so.

Had a reply off the BBC, a rather sharp one I feel.

Dear Mr Prestwood

Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'The Sky At Night'.

The episode of the programme which went out on Sunday 7 Jan was indeed the 650th

episode. However, it wasn't a 'Special', or billed as such and was therefore

scheduled at roughly the same time as it usually transmits.

The big 'Sky At Night' anniversary this year will be in April when we celebrate

50 years of the programme - this will be a 30 minute special and will play in an

earlier slot, the exact time to be confirmed. February's episode will be a 40

min special which will again transmit at an earlier time.

Please be aware that you they have an opportunity to catch Sunday's episode this

Saturday 13 January on BBC TWO at 12.30.

Thank you, once more, for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

BBC Information

Kain

I got this reply from the beeb:

Dear Paul

Thank you for your email regarding 'The Sky at Night' on BBC One.

I was interested to read that you feel the above mentioned programme is broadcast to late. I fully appreciate your view that the BBC has a responsibility to educate, and therefore a programme such as this should be scheduled in an earlier slot.

Even very popular programmes face competition for a place in the peak time schedule. These placings are limited in number and there can be practical difficulties in timing programmes to meet fixed 'junctions' in the schedule, such as 10pm on BBC ONE for news and 10.30pm on BBC TWO for 'Newsnight'. Our aim is to provide a range of programmes for our audience at times which are convenient and we have to cater for people who want to watch television late at night, as well as our peak time audiences.

Scheduling is a complex process and we understand that some people may be disappointed with the placement of a programme. I recognise you feel this programme warrants a peak time slot and have registered your comments on our daily log. This internal document is made available to BBC personnel, senior management and the programme makers concerned.

The BBC welcomes all feedback as it helps us make decisions about future programming and policy.

May I take this opportunity to thank you once more for your interest in the BBC and for taking the trouble to contact us with your enquiry.

Regards

Joanna

BBC Information

I can't see them EVER budging on scheduling S@N regularly in an early slot and I'm not sure that I'd want them to. To be fair the longer show on BBC4 is shown plenty early enough. I just think they might've considered 650 shows a bit of a landmark (regardless of what they have planned later in the year) and condescended to not condemning it's premier broadcast to the graveyard shift.

At the end of the day, the stars are up there all the time (weather permitting - mentally spits). If someone were to get interested and realise that they would like to take it further it should be fitting if it were from looking up - not at the telly.

I would sincerely hope that the Beeb assumes that anyone who wants to watch it - will find it, but am guessing it's really just about the numbers.

Like I said - I just wish they'd pay the nice old gent some due respect - I'm not sure if the 50yrs graphic at the end of the program was quite up to the mark, but still a nice effort by the S@N prod team.

Remember - there are many folk (and I fear that they outnumber us by a woefully staggering rate) that are either blissfully unaware of S@N or couldn't care less if it were cancelled. As long as there are soaps and reality tv shows they are happy. To give them a little leg stretching in our field would involve a lot more than rescheduling.

coat ready :D

It's all well and good them going on about time slots etc, but the fact the programe got nudged to such a late [early] time slot is a joke!

Could you imagine Eastenders getting posponed to clash with Corry, I know my wife would not be a happy bunny! :D And the outcry would be on the News!

The only thing the BEEEB have on their side IS the fact the programe is repeated on BBC 2 & 4.

I think the first reply just goes to show how important that respondant thought of Science & education in general. [boy, did I get out the wrong side of bed today!!!]

Well I'll be watching the BBC over the next few months just to see how much 'hype' they give the 50th anniversary programming!

Well I'll be watching the BBC over the next few months just to see how much 'hype' they give the 50th anniversary programming!

Will be interesting James - can't imagine for one single minute that any of the complaints will have had any sort of influence though. Like I said in an earlier post; if it were Eastenders 50th there would probably be a national holiday!

We are probably lucky that S@N has a regular graveyard slot - if it were earlier, it would no doubt be cancelled when the Snooker and Tennis came round.

Archived