Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

who has what REFRACTOR, REFLECTOR OR BOTH

spaceboy

Have you put a post in the equipment help section regards the mount?

Is this the C100ED moonlighted?

I have posted in the help section regarding the play in the mount, it was suggested that I loosen off the allen bolts holding the worm screw in place, loosen the little grub screw slightly and then tightening the other four back up. This makes the worm screw press harder against the threaded cog (name for it please :)) and SHOULD reduce backlash.

I have done this as I said on both axes but it is still present and the slo-mo cables are quite hard to turn. It has reduced but I can still see some noticeable play.

There also seems to be some slight sideways movement in the altitude bearing, the pivot which the mount moves around when adjusting altitude bolts.

Oh and no the 'scope isn't moonlited, it has the stock rack and pinion focuser fitted and it really could do with being replaced. I am considering either a moonlite or the Agena Astro adapter and then fitting a GSO or a Skywatcher crayford. Not now as I am a little short of cash but hopefully sometime during the summer hiatus.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on guys and girls lets have some enthusiasm and see some more pictures of set ups being posted. :) Many have commented how it has made it a more enjoyable read.

Ok, here you go - photo taken by someone else and I've just cropped it:

IMG_8264.jpg

i thought there would of been more reflectors tbh

I know a fair few of the refractors included in the scores are being used as guide scopes but I agree Andy you would think there would be more reflectors. I have to say I do like my Evo despite the inherent CA but if I had to make the choice I doubt I could ever give up the sheer light grabbing power of my reflectors.

• 4 weeks later...

I get just as much pleasure out of both, they are used for different ocassions, the frac is easier as a grab and go, which is why I got it in the first place, views are comparable in my view, and quality superb in both scopes

• 5 weeks later...

Update on the scores.

REFRACTOR...................113

SCT.............................27

MAK.............................23

REFLECTOR....................69

MAK-NEWT....................5

RC................................2

254mm sct

120mm Refractor

102mm Mak

Like 'em all, recently sold my 8" newt. I like my scopes to fill a task, I don't think kit will change much now unless a small lottery win comes our way:).

I have a 8 inch Dob for now with a pair of 15x70 bins. I would like to get at least of 12" Dob and a nice refractor. I am new to this so I figure I need to learn how to use the one I have then proceed from there.

I started with the Skywatcher 200P, a fine first scope, and now I have the 100ED, I wouldn't part with either, the frac has nice sharp contrasty images as has been pointed out already, and the 200p is good for DSO's and lots more....

• 2 months later...

I have just 'completed' my scope collection with a 90mm f5.5 refractor. I now have this for wide field views and traveling (possibly white light solar) as well as a 6" f11 dob for planets/lunar/doubles and a 16" f4 dob for deep space fuzzies. So I am now both again now too!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived