SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

who has what REFRACTOR, REFLECTOR OR BOTH

spaceboy

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

It has been interesting reading the replies to this thread.

Over the years, I have had various reflectors; 8"; 10" and 12".I also had a 12" SCT for a while. They were all nice telescopes and I enjoyed using them. However, I now have a 4" f5.4 refractor and that gives me the best views of all of them. It will show me anything from the whole of M45 with room to spare, right up to high power views of Saturn. It is great for astrophotography as well.

Best wishes,

Liz

Skymax 150 Pro Mak. Shown below bathed in the dreaded orange glow and all wrapped up against the dew...

mak-one-albums-learning-curve-picture10178-set-up.jpg

A reflector next. Or a nice APO refractor, or... ...sorry, got to go - my wallet's just gone into credit card-iac arrest :)

Over the years, I have had various reflectors; 8"; 10" and 12".I also had a 12" SCT for a while. They were all nice telescopes and I enjoyed using them. However, I now have a 4" f5.4 refractor and that gives me the best views of all of them. It will show me anything from the whole of M45 with room to spare, right up to high power views of Saturn. It is great for astrophotography as well.

Best wishes,

Liz

My Omni 120 XLT refractor is by far my favourite scope and I haven't had a need for a fringe filter yet either. I did start out with a 4.5" newton last July but it's long gone. If I ever do "upgrade" again, it'll be the Celestron C6-RGT refractor. I find my refractor gives a much richer view of everything than my Skywatcher 8" DOB. Actually, the 8" is now my "grab & go" scope since I can get it outside much faster than the refractor :)

Skymax 150 Pro Mak. Shown below bathed in the dreaded orange glow and all wrapped up against the dew...

mak-one-albums-learning-curve-picture10178-set-up.jpg

A reflector next. Or a nice APO refractor, or... ...sorry, got to go - my wallet's just gone into credit card-iac arrest :)

I am guessing you get your revenge on the orange glow with the coffee grinder B)

I am guessing you get your revenge on the orange glow with the coffee grinder B)

Adz

Unfortunately, the orange lights don't seem to mind the noise. Anyway, it's all drowned out by the Tesco lorries passing on the other side of the wall...:)

I only get the urge for a brew at the highest slew speeds. TBH in normal tracking it ticks away nice and quietly - only gets iffy if you spend sessions slewing around the sky like a panicking ack-ack gunner. I'll put up with it given the price difference between it and the equivalent Skywatcher. When it's out of warranty I shall be carrying out a little "work" to reduce the noise.

Anyway, when I've got my wooly hat on it's muffled quite nicely...:grin: Can't vouch for the neighbours though...

Well only just got it setup, still a bit to do and bits to add. Just tested it attached to the laptop and runs sweetly.

the-sailor-albums-observatory-picture10182-038.jpg

Fraid I stuck an SCT in there so hope you don't mind B). Will have to vacate the kitchen soon but God knows where I am going to store all this gear :)

Jim

Well only just got it setup, still a bit to do and bits to add. Just tested it attached to the laptop and runs sweetly.

Fraid I stuck an SCT in there so hope you don't mind B). Will have to vacate the kitchen soon but God knows where I am going to store all this gear :)

Jim

Nice!!!! In the meantime, just set an extra place for them at the dinner table :grin:

He, late to the party as usual :rolleyes:

Anyway, got a big cat and a little 'frac (see sig).

Next 'scope will almost certainly be a Newt, probably a Dob. Just to see what I've been missing :icon_eek:

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone still following the thread :)

REFRACTOR...................110

SCT.............................27

MAK.............................23

REFLECTOR....................67

MAK-NEWT....................5

RC................................2

Add my one dob (I don't own it but is on long term lease) and my C100ED APO, I still have yet to get it out under a clear sky after buying it from FLO at SGL6 nearly a month ago.

The mount it is on is hopeless and has loads of backlash even when the clutches are tightened up fully so I have been tinkering with it for a while to try and remove it, I seem to have only succeeded in making the slo-mo controls stiffer and the backlash slightly less noticeable :)

Archived