Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Who do I blame?

S.A.M

I am wondering if anybody in SGL land can answer this question 'Who do I blame'?

For the last month, the skies over Wiltshire have been very cloudy, only clear skies were near the full moon, not much good for Deep Sky! I think I have the answer, somebody (could be more than one person) has opened the 'Box of Clouds' than comes with every new telescope purchased. With Astrofest just gone that might be the reason we have had very poor skies recently?

If you opened the 'Box of Clouds' please put your hand up and say sorry to the rest of us astronomers who would like the odd clear evening.

Peter:)

Sorry I bought a job lot of clouds cheap off ebay. Was going to release them a few at a time when it gets too hot in the summer but the parcel broke on delivery and they all got away at once.

Got a job lot of wind from the same seller but that's another story. :)

I'm trying to keep the clouds at bay by buying storage bits and dust caps but I don't think it works like that.

No, you're right. The only remedy for clouds is to buy an umbrella.

Then you get bright sunny days - and dark cloudy nights :) You can't win, it's all been tried before.

This has got to be an after effect of Stargazing Live... what they didnt strees is how careful you have to be opening new kit to aavoid letting the clouds out... So I would have to blame Prof BC...:)

Hopefully it will be an intense but short lived effect as so much new kit has been purchased in a relatively short period of time...

I think you have to own a telescope to truly realise just how crappy our weather really is. :/

Bang on, right. When I bought my first one I had visions of being out most nights, using it. If I'd known then that my expensive toy would only get rolled out a dozen (sometimes up to 20 - wowee!) times a year, I'd probably have taken up stamp collecting instead.

I think you have to own a telescope to truly realise just how crappy our weather really is. :/

Spot on, I've had my scope three weeks and can't believe how bad the weather has been.

I did try to put the clouds back in the box but the peskey things just wouldn't be caught :)

Maybe if I sold my latest telescope or dumped it, the clouds might roll away for a while? Typical night in Wiltshire, looking at a good half moon this afternoon only for the clouds (from whose box I do not know!!!) to roll in early evening and it is now rain quite hard.

The British weather, you can not win...

Hi Peter,

Yes you know it is me and Chatham - Frank! We are so sorry!

I have told Simon at the Widescreen Centre to leave out the free box of clouds when they send the spotter scope!

See you Sunday.

Regards

Chris

When I opened my box it was indoors, and the scope second-hand. The room filled with clouds so badly I had to open the door to let them out. I think the previous owner had been collecting them and had too many. I blame Gavin Praetor-Pinney.

Frank,

Some of the clouds did not make it back to W1, they are still in Wiltshire and are now crying. At least the plants will not mind with all this extra water:)

Peter

OK in that case we can blame parcelforce which probably means they are responsible in the first place. Glad we cleared that up. :)

Archived