Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The One Show and LP

The BBC seem to be really getting behind astronomy - The One Show has just had an item on Light Pollution - it looks like Sark is the place to be - but they did mention morre local councils are working with Astronomers to see what can be done, and what lights can be turned off (nothing to do with cost saving I'm sure :( )

But anyway, has anyone had contact with their Councils? and what reaction did you get?

Clear Skies

sent a couple of E-mails to my local MP and to the local Council, no reponse as of yet and this was a while ago now.

i even sent one to the office of the deputy prime minister, a couple actually but one was nothing to do with LP, i had a response to one (not the one about LP)

i did read somewhere that to get the Government to act, would be to get a petition of no less than 10'000 (i think that number is right)

how many members do we have on this forum now?

I have contacted several people within my local council. I must be honset the response has been poor. However I have been informed that street lighting trials are been undertaken within and around the city. This has been apparent in a few places and street lighting has been reduced ( all be it controversially ) in a few areas.

These trails are to continue for a couple of months and crime figures and other factors are going to be collated at the end. This will then obviously determin wether or not street lighting will be reduced on the whole.

I wouldn't hold your breath....we have an astrophysicist on council who wasn't interested in campaigning against the university stopping the adult education astronomy course...and that was during IYA!!

Still might be worth another try

I suppose it depends on the council. I was listening to the radio today and a council leader said that one of the down sides of the cuts was that they may have to cut some non essential lighting in non residential areas.

Downside eh ?

Dave.

The trouble is that local councils are only half (and quite possibly the easy half) of the problem. Switch off the streetlights and people start putting powerful 'security' lights up. I even have one local whose property backs onto mine who has taken to leaving their bathroom light on all night because they are suspicious of me 'skulking around' in a dark corner in my back garden with the telescope. It's amazing how bright something like that can be when you are hidden away from all the local streetlights.

I wouldn't hold your breath....we have an astrophysicist on council who wasn't interested in campaigning against the university stopping the adult education astronomy course...and that was during IYA!!

Still might be worth another try

Well that's the difference between astrophysics and astronomy. I am surprised that you have someone on your council who is an astrophysicist - they don't normally go outside! :)

I am, of couse, joking... some of my best friends etc., etc

. Switch off the streetlights and people start putting powerful 'security' lights up.

Exactly. A lot of people putting up halogen floodlights with a broad scatter, and we end up with a problem far, far worse than street lights.

I have a neighbour who lives 130 metres across the way whose floodlight lights up my room, and some trees 250 metres away! Must be some wattage! :)

There are no street lights where I live at the moment, but when the neighbour has her exterior light on (bright tungsten bulb), I can kiss observing goodbye, as LM is around 3.5.

We'd thought the battle had been won, then would have to start a new one to legislate private illumination. (such as controlling light scatter, etc)

I am but one person. I am the only person (in my estate that i know of) that is into astronomy. One person into astronomy in my area will have NO impact on local authorities to change their attitude/policies to LP etc.

The best i can hope for and do is to bring awareness to a couple of neighbours with security lights that infringe upon my hobby. Not just because of me and my hobby, but the position of their lights and the wattage of the bulbs they use are outside of the regulation/lawful guidelines.

Here in Chester we have a local who is championing the cause to reduce LP, but sadly the council's attitude is just to tell him to get lost. - It gets worse by the year here. On top of this, there seem to be an increasing number of outside lights left on all night - not just sensor security lights. I've only been astro imaging for 3 years, and have seen the problem get worse even in that short time.

Interestingly, I went into Reading last night to see a show, afterwards I looked up and as it was a clear night had Orion overhead, but all I could make out were, Betelgeuse, Bellatrix, Rigel and the belt (who's names I can never remember!) - I couldn't see Saiph or anything else - Even Betelgeuse looked dull, when I got home I looked again and the difference was remarkable, even if it was begining to cloud over - maybe my garden doesn't suffer from LP as much as I first thought

Archived