Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thought I'd say hello

ZZraynj

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, what an odd turnout of events.

As I posted, I was finding my goto hugely frustrating. So I did two things. First I bought a lazer collimator and seconf, put a bit on a 12" Dob on ebay. Both came up on the same day, though the collimator slightly earlier. So as I'd read a huge amount about collimation, I was heatened by the dialogue and commentary in this forum. So decided to give it a go. The thing wasn't working anyway. It so happens that the primary was 'out' by some magnitude (but alas, once armed with this enthusiastic news) clouds meant I was not entirely sure that I'd 'done it'. Then, my bid came up on the 12" Dob and I got it (with a whole bunch of eyepieces 2" & 1.25").

So I managed to sneak the Revelation home and place it strategically in the garage. Then, the clouds parted (I know, it's aqll falling into place), so I took the goto out and, blow me, it works.

I've had a couple of decent clear nights (by clear, I'll explain in a bit) and am absolutely loving the sky. Why did I not notice it for the last 50 years, you might have thought at some time in your life (after a few beers) lying on your back, looking up and thing b*gger me, where did they come from ?. It's just great, I love 'em.

Anyway, back to the Dob. Yeah, I know I'm going to see a lot more through that than my 4.5 inch skywatcher, but I sort of figure, I want to get all I can from that before I discar it and move onto the big boy. Beside, I'm nowhere near au fait with the universe yet and the goto is really helping me to identify (and commit to permanent memory) all my new friends up there.

Is that wierd or just silly romantic, hey I don't know.

Anyway, back to the sky. At the moment, all I can reallt 'get into' is a SW 45 degree arc before either my house, the houses around me or the d4mned street lights either dilute or obstruct stuff. So, I've been driving around Cannock Chase looking for a perfect spot (now found) and pretty soon, when I'm a bit more confident, I'll be going up there for jet black skies (though I am concerned about the thought of presenting myself with two telecopes into a ..... let's say "canine activity" area... if you get my drift. But hopefully they'll be too busy to wotrry about me looking heavens bound.

So to sum up, the GOTO is my friend and no longer my enemy and the future is bright (or let's hope the opposite) with the 12" to look forward to (if dear wifey doesn't discover it first).

Just a shame this all came into ascencion , just as Jupiter has dipped below the horizon. Going to load up Stelarium now to she when she's back in my (limited) field of view.

And finally, thanks all for your wonderful warm welcome messages.

This is a GREAT place to be (philosophically and metaphorically).

Archived