NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGL6 - Chat Thread

Helen

Just booked and paid for three nights - Fri to Sun. Never been camping, or to an organised observing event such as this.... Looking forward to it. Have some questions for seasoned attendees :)

I assume the electric feeds don't have a standard 13amp outlet. What connector and length of lead would I need to buy between the outlets and the pitch ?

Lastly, is there any links to previous SGL parties photos - interested to see what Im in for :o

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'll need a cable like this Crusader Products Mobile Mains Kit | GO Outdoors (that one is really good value) to run from the post next to your pitch to inside your tent. you can then use standard plugs in the tent.

+1!

I think that's it's worth re-iterating to camping virgins that there isn't standard electric points at campsites and you will need a unit like this to have electrics for your tent and (if needed) kit. Don't think running a glorified extension lead without the necessary trip switches and safety circuitry will work. Inevitably there will be damp and dew around and you will only endanger yourself and those around you. Not only that, you could blow the whole field and seriously annoy a lot of people!

FWIW, since buying one of these I've bought an adapter so I can use it in a standard plug point and now have a decent electric lead for my kit and anything else that I use in the garden :).

Tony..

It was cloudy tonight.. so I did something positive.

5 gallons (40pints) of Wherry kit in the fermenter :o

I'm hoping the campden tablet used to remove the chlorine from the tap water will not kill off the yeast. :) but if you don't remove the chlorine the resulting beer tastes like TCP.

The beer will be a little young (best with 12 weeks) but better that no beer :(

5 gallons (40pints) of Wherry kit in the fermenter :o

:) OMG - that would certainly put the party into the word Starparty :(

Guys thanks for the links for suitable hook up cable.... what I thought would be a cheap weekend away is now costing me a small fortune - tent, sleeping bag, hook up cable, amazing how quick you can spend the cash !!

Checked out some of those images from last year - I can't wait...

what I thought would be a cheap weekend away is now costing me a small fortune - tent, sleeping bag, hook up cable, amazing how quick you can spend the cash !!.

I just think of the reuse... I have still yet to buy a stove, any suggestions for a good electric stove? I can happily live on "everything cooked in a pot" for the week, after all thai and indian curries can be made in a single pot.. so can an early morning fry up :)

I think this weekend I'll dig out the tent and ensure it's not been nibbled and still has all the tent pegs.

:) OMG - that would certainly put the party into the word Starparty :o

Guys thanks for the links for suitable hook up cable.... what I thought would be a cheap weekend away is now costing me a small fortune - tent, sleeping bag, hook up cable, amazing how quick you can spend the cash !!

Checked out some of those images from last year - I can't wait...

might be cheaper to buy a powerpack? I bet someone would charge it during the day for you?

I am just bringing my charger and batteries in the hope someone will do so for me.

might be cheaper to buy a powerpack? I bet someone would charge it during the day for you?

I am just bringing my charger and batteries in the hope someone will do so for me.

Main thing is to ensure your battery will last. I'm not sure of the average power consumption of a mount (2A at max) plus cams/dew headers etc (say 3A) so a 17Ah battery, with the other bits may last 3 hours.

Ill be bringing a battery with a straight car charger but I'll be running the kit off the mains unless there's less noise through a 12V battery supply for the camera etc.

I'll be running off a 13.8v 10A regulated power supply assuming the noise isn't a problem but I'll also have a big leisure battery and charger just in case. During the day I'll have spare 240v outlets if someone needs to plug in a charger and I'm sure there will be others with spare outlets.

I just think of the reuse...

Funny you should say that.. wifey has started the suggestion that our next holiday be a camping one, so this way all my "investment" gets more use than one weekend a year.... at least I'll only be paying for pitch fees at SGL7 next year :o (assuming I take to this camping lark :))

Seems that a lot of people must be related to folks who have motorhomes!

All this talk of alcohol!

We shall be bringing as much beer and wine as possible and as mentioned some malt whisky. Anyone who wants to while away the wee hours, just bring along a favourite malt and we can compare notes!

Oh and will hopefully persuade Claire to do a large pot of chilli and rice. She is renowned for it in our motorhome circles. Always helps late at night!

Days to do are getting few.

Regards

Chris

So which is your favourite then Chris? I may bring along a highland park or as it's my birthday the 18yr Jura....Or some Tobermory which is quite nice too...do you like speysides?

Michael

Hi Mike,

Sounds like a good selection, any would be good!

Regards

Chris

Archived