Narrowband

SGL6 - Chat Thread

Helen

BEERWATCH: The King Keg, after a CO2 purge is now full of beer + beer enhancer (dextrose+malt) for it's second fermentation final pressurisation. CO2 is only used to prevent the beer oxidising whilst the final fermentation produces CO2.

Although the name Astroboot has been taken.. I shall name this beer:

AstroBooty

Although with 31 days ageing.. it'll be rather young (best with 8-12 weeks).

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I joined SGL last year but have been only an occasional lurker until now. I bought gear last August but for various reasons have never had a chance to use in serious anger. Decided to give a kick-start by booking SGL6 Thursday through Sunday. So here's another nooby who will be looking for assistance from the more seasoned amongst you. Any volunteers for introductions on Thursday evening? I can search you out if you don't mind. I'll be attending alone as wife has no intention of roughing it in a tent.

I joined SGL last year but have been only an occasional lurker until now. I bought gear last August but for various reasons have never had a chance to use in serious anger. Decided to give a kick-start by booking SGL6 Thursday through Sunday. So here's another nooby who will be looking for assistance from the more seasoned amongst you. Any volunteers for introductions on Thursday evening? I can search you out if you don't mind. I'll be attending alone as wife has no intention of roughing it in a tent.

I'm staying the same nights that you are. I'll have a caravan so I'll be fairly easy to find. I have a 102mm F/6.5 doublet ED refractor so it would be interesting to compare notes :)

I'm staying the same nights that you are. I'll have a caravan so I'll be fairly easy to find. I have a 102mm F/6.5 doublet ED refractor so it would be interesting to compare notes :)

Thanks John. I suspect you'll be much better placed to tell the difference than me. However, I 've noticed a few people on forums enquiring about the scope I've got (from Altair Astro) but not being able to find any feedback - so maybe a few at SGL6 will get a chance to take a look and form some reasonably objective views. Looking forward to meeting you and many others.

Have a 105 F/6.38 refractor, would love to compare notes too.

• Sleeping bag, airbed, insulated mat and pillow.
  • Table and chair for the laptop.
  • Table for eating, cooker and plenty of gas, kettle and frying pan, knifes and forks.
  • Food, drink and loo rolls.
  • Towels and washing up stuff.
  • Waterproof clothes.
  • Mains power lead and RCD.
  • Books, notepad and pens.

Hadn't thought of that... :)

Ian

Have the can opener on the list... forgot the corkscrew - thanks for the tip :)

I've also made a note to visit the bank of Asda so I can exchange some currency.. GBP for jaffa cakes as that seem to be the star party currency these days :p

Just been to the Lucksall Caravan Park to sort out a few things. The site looks green, very clean, some better roadways and the new toilet block very handy to the rally field. The staff are looking forward to having us.

So everything is looking good so all we need is sunny days and clear nights. See you in about 3 weeks and if you want to know anything about Hereford or the surrounding area or other local knowledge just ask me. However, we have produced a local guide giving lots of info which we will give you on your arrival.

Mark

And I think it is time to post up that I have spent some time and money on extending the range of the wifi coverage on the rally field this year, with an external antenna perched on top of the mast this year, as well as the Vodafone 3G directional uplink to provide internet access. We did look at just hooking into the onsite Wifi at Lucksall, but its just not reliableor stable enough at the moment (hence why they dont charge for it on site!)

I am hoping to keep access completely open, depending on the amount of use and abuse it gets (which I will keep a very close eye on), but if I could nicely ask that in the spirit of co-operation, please, no bittorrent, filesharing, streaming video/audio or other data hogs that will just soak up the available bandwidth.

Oh, and a reminder... if you are connected to the wifi/internet, remember to turn off your windows auto-updates so your kit doesnt reboot itself while (for example) taking several hours worth of dark frames. You know who you are :)

Steve, that's fantastic news... as a newbie to SGL6 I was going to look at "borrowing" a mobile dongle from work so I could stay in touch with home... this will make things a lot better. - Can you confirm if using a web cam via MSN is a no-no ? - don't intend to be on it for hours... just now and again ?

And I think it is time to post up that I have spent some time and money on extending the range of the wifi coverage on the rally field this year, with an external antenna perched on top of the mast this year, as well as the Vodafone 3G directional uplink to provide internet access. We did look at just hooking into the onsite Wifi at Lucksall, but its just not reliableor stable enough at the moment (hence why they dont charge for it on site!)

I am hoping to keep access completely open, depending on the amount of use and abuse it gets (which I will keep a very close eye on), but if I could nicely ask that in the spirit of co-operation, please, no bittorrent, filesharing, streaming video/audio or other data hogs that will just soak up the available bandwidth.

Oh, and a reminder... if you are connected to the wifi/internet, remember to turn off your windows auto-updates so your kit doesnt reboot itself while (for example) taking several hours worth of dark frames. You know who you are :)

That is excellent news Steve. I'm more than happy to donate to the wifi bill

If it's an air interface (ie via a mobile connection) then it's unlikely to support webcam without both swamping the connection and probably having a slideshow given others using it at the same time.

I'll have my old iPhone for general email/messaging/surfing. Although I'm stingy enough not to sign up for O2's tethering bolt on..

I think it's probably better to assume that Webcam messaging is a no no...

I think that we could be swamped with 100 people all sitting watching bbc weather and sat24 :)

Ant

Archived