SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Turn left at orion?

All

I am looking for a good guide book to accompany me taking the next step in astronomy. I have a planisphere, and have been looking at stellarium, but what I could do with now is a good book.

I have done a bit of digging and it looks like 'Turn Left at Orion' is recommended.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Regards

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just bought Turn Left at Orion and it arrived today from Amazon. For a complete newb like me who is just starting out it is brilliant. Using it tonight I've managed to observe the great orion nebula with bins, didn't even need to drag the scope outside. Well worth the purchase.

Does anybody know if a newer version of Turn Left at Orion is comming out in Feb? notice the Amazon version is 2000 and the tables are up to 2011 so I'm holding off purchasing incase a newer version is released

Just a heads up - make sure you buy a new one and not second hand. The charts were updated in 2010 to go up to 2020. Second hand ones may be the older version that run out this year.

/edit - missed the question above. I bought mine from Amazon and it was the new version.

Just ordered mine from Amazon today along with my planisphere (been waiting for them to come back in stock!).

Hoping it will help me start to find things on purpose rather than my current stumble-around-the-sky-and-chance-upon-something approach! :)

Just a small footnote:

Rang the publishers 5 minutes ago and they confirmed that that 4th Edition which is not a reprint but an actual rewriting of this great book (will include a section on Dobsonians and also referencing to objects for larger scopes) is NOT out yet and it would appear it is still at the final draft stage. Publishers said they couldn't give me an actual date but anticipate late spring at the earliest and could be in paperback form.

There seems to be confusion as to what people have bought which they say is 'new'. Can someone let me know, so I can go back to them to clear things ups.

James

I have TLAO and it's brilliant for your first object guide. Also have a look at "Illustrated Guide To Astronomical Wonders". It's like an extension to TLAO with similar format but many more objects and only around £16 from Amazon. Plus it folds out flat on a table for easy reference in the field. (I've got 'em both lol) :)

I got my copy of Backyard Astronomer the other day and it's exactly what I wanted. Gives you a thorough tour of your telescope as well as info about astronomy generally. From what I can gather, 'Turn Left...' is more about what you can see. 'Backyard..' is more how to find it all.

Just a small footnote:

Rang the publishers 5 minutes ago and they confirmed that that 4th Edition which is not a reprint but an actual rewriting of this great book (will include a section on Dobsonians and also referencing to objects for larger scopes) is NOT out yet and it would appear it is still at the final draft stage. Publishers said they couldn't give me an actual date but anticipate late spring at the earliest and could be in paperback form.

There seems to be confusion as to what people have bought which they say is 'new'. Can someone let me know, so I can go back to them to clear things ups.

James

Hi James

The edition I just purchased was the 11th printing (2010) of the 3rd edition (2000). As I said, all data tables have been updated to 2020.

i just got nightwatch by terence dickinson at book depository (most other sites have older editions). the fourth edition is 2010 rewritten and updated till 2018. it's spiral bound, which is very useful and has excellent starcharts.

can't recommend it enough... tho did cost about £25 (beware amazon seems to advertise the 4th edition but the write up is for the 3rd)

Archived